"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: ByTheSword Churburg Gauntlets and Churburg Sabatons  (Read 5432 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
One glaring thing I noticed is there is NO sizing at all - no specific measurements, as expected, but not even a small/medium/large option.

http://www.bytheswordinc.com/p-1136-churburg-gauntlets-29-ab0077.aspx
(gauntlets)

(sabatons)
http://www.bytheswordinc.com/p-1135-churburg-sabatons-29-ab0076.aspx

Anyone have any experience with them, or know how the sizing runs?
« Last Edit: 2011-04-25, 21:03:12 by Sir Edward »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: ByTheSword Churburg Gauntlets and Churburg Sabatons
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-25, 21:03:40 »

Edited your post to put "sabatons" before the link so the dictionary wouldn't break the URL.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-25, 23:18:25 »
A bit bulky and thick with the 16 ga fingers. Planning one being it there yes?

Edit: Meant to ask if you were expecting to be hit there. Dang cold.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-26, 19:40:08 by RauttSkegg »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-26, 16:16:57 »
I checked out these sabatons in the past and they just "don't quite look right".  The toe is pointed, but there is not enough shaping to the point.  Instead of a having a plate that hugs the left and right side of the heel bone, they stop short and do a funny flare thingy.  Just my $0.02 worth.

Past conversations on myArmoury and Armour Archive indicate the gauntlets are fine for show (Ren Fairs, costume, etc.), but not good if you want to fight in them. 
David Teague, a Selohaar Fechtschule instructor, warns against using them for WMA in this thread.

Quote from: David Teague on myArmoury
P.S. Stay away from the GDFB Churburg gauntlets... I rebuilt a pair and they were a lot of work and still aren't all that good.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-26, 16:48:17 »
Can't say I like the look of'm either...it has taken me a long time to figure out that the usual 3 sizes offered never fit me well.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-05, 17:32:07 »
Sigh. After an extended debacle, the sabatons arrived (I ordered before I saw Sir Wolf's post about KOA). Long story short, nowhere in the site nor order confirmation did it state the gauntlets are on backorder, but they are.

The sabatons are made for Goliath. Goliath, with a size 4, XXXXXXXL width, foot. The toe plate is indeed shaped poorly, and the closest-to-heel plate flares wide enough to fit a combat boot with enough room for a finger or two on each side. That's going to get flattened out to go straight back, at least. I don't know if I can do anything about the toe. I'm scared to see how the gauntlets are going to arrive now. :(

They will both just be for renn-fest / costume fun. I wouldn't dare fight in it; I'm going to get a proper set of gauntlets, probably from Allan at MercTailor, if I need any for fighting. The brass trim on the gauntlets should compliment the brass trim on the knees/elbows/shoulders of my existing kit nicely.

I'm doing my best to scramble together my 14th Cent kit in time for MD Renn Fest and my honeymoon. It's been one hurdle after another.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2011-05-05, 17:41:35 »
The sabatons are made for Goliath. Goliath, with a size 4, XXXXXXXL width, foot.

Wow, that's not good. Maybe they intended for the horse to wear them.  :-\
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )