"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Did the Knights Errant event today...  (Read 5323 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Did the Knights Errant event today...
« on: 2011-04-18, 02:25:42 »
... and it was an awesome time! I absolutely cannot wait till next time whether it be here in Reno or somewhere else.

If you ever get the chance to take a class day/ practice from Sir Gemini & Sir Mari then I highly advise you to do so. Today made my desire to get down to DeGrendelous Martial Arts stronger.

Today was my second time in armour in a year and it was the second time in this kit (pics to follow later) and while I don't have the fighting pants yet I was quite happy with it all. All I need now is a light coif to keep the sweat from my eyes & a round shield & I will be set... for now. (always it is the desire to enhance ones kit yes?)

As to my fighting, I was happy with some, unhappy with some, and ecstatic with some of the shots I threw. One kid from DeGrendelous out there with a bastard sword got me in the arm pit with a move hat was absolutely beautiful to watch come in. I remembered to tell him how proud he should be of that shot. It was just so damn pretty. :D

Got to fight Viscount Lochlan and had a great time doing that. He is just so quick! At least I got a few kills on him. :)

Got to see some of my friend that I had missed quite a bit.

I know I'm forgetting a lot, but trust me that there was more.

Today was a Great Day! Fighting is soo much cheaper than therapy.

-Ivan

BTW- Here is the Knigts Errant from their FB page:
"Our Mission is to travel to the far edges of the West Kingdom to instruct in the Chivalric and Martial Arts and to inspire ourselves and others to continue to learn and expand our knowledge and prowess."
« Last Edit: 2011-04-18, 02:36:26 by RauttSkegg »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: Did the Knights Errant event today...
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-18, 12:35:30 »
I'm glad you had a great time.  There's really nothing quite like swinging a stick or blunt.  :)

Our first event of the year is this coming weekend in (go figure in MN) a hockey arena as the weather is still too unpredictable (snowed on Friday/Saturday).

Quote from: RauttSkegg
One kid from DeGrendelous out there with a bastard sword got me in the arm pit with a move that was absolutely beautiful to watch come in. I remembered to tell him how proud he should be of that shot. It was just so damn pretty.
Only in the SCA/WMA communities will you hear a quote like this! :D
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-18, 20:48:31 »
Sounds like a great time. Looking forward to pics of the kit.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-19, 06:27:03 »
Only in the SCA/WMA communities will you hear a quote like this! :D

;D  ;D  ;D

BTW Sir Marc de Arundel gave that kid his first bastard sword, and some training too. it explained how he managed to hit my arm pit while hiding behind my shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-19, 14:40:58 »
That sounds like an awesome time, Rauttskegg...they travel all over?  Do they have a listing of dates/times?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-19, 21:25:45 »
They travel throughout the SCA West Kingdom so to my knowledge they have been all over Northern Nevada & California as well as parts of Alaska and once a few held a Knights Errant class when they happened to be in Australia (when it was part of the West). The would still have to get to Thailand and Japan to complete their journey through the West's lands.

It was started by Sir Gemini & Sir Mari after they got their dojo up and running. The Knights Errant are based in Turlock, CA and have a Facebook page (just like Modern Medieval does). They have talked to other Knights about starting a similar thing in their Kingdoms at such events as Estrella, Great Western War, & Pennsic but I have yet to hear of any other KE groups starting.

It's a great idea and I really hope other Kingdoms get their own KE groups going.

-Ivan