"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Grand Illusion (movie)  (Read 3999 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Grand Illusion (movie)
« on: 2011-04-14, 13:20:43 »

Here's a decent description/review of the film: http://mcrae_tony.tripod.com/grand_illusion_commentary.htm

Grand Illusion (1937)  (IMDB:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028950/)

Set in World War I, the story deals with French pilots captured by the Germans. The film is full of old-school chivalry. The German commander invites the officers to dinner, and treats the French officer in charge very well throughout the film.

I say old-school chivalry, because it ties into some other concepts that we've discussed recently elsewhere on the forum. Chivalry defined how knights should behave toward one another, but there was always the sense that once the fight is on, you are duty bound to do the best you can to win. Here in the film, the officers treat each other with mutual respect, discuss philosophical issues (for instance how different the war is for "men like us"), and yet its always understood that the French officer must, at some point, attempt escape... unless he promises not to. But then there's a moral choice, upholding a promise, or the duty to your men?

It's a subtitled foreign film, but it's well worth watching, IMHO. It's been several years since I've seen it, but I'm tempted to add it to the collection.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Grand Illusion (movie)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-14, 13:37:12 »
sweet. i've been looking into WW1. have to look this one up

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Grand Illusion (movie)
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-14, 15:54:07 »
I may give this a go someday...although in all honesty, someone would have to 'make' me watch it.  I have almost no interest in movies of that genre...or war movies in general.  I did like Saving Private Ryan but I think it was because it was so unapologetically gruesome at times I could not look away...there have been other good ones, like FMJ, Hamburger Hill, even Rambo but when it comes to deciding between this and a medievally-inspired one, I'll always choose the latter, even if it hurts.

Like when I watched the Christopher Lambert-led version of Beowulf...were it not for Rhona Mitra, I would not have made it to the end of that one.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€