"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Dame Jane Goodall  (Read 3040 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Dame Jane Goodall
« on: 2011-04-11, 19:51:05 »
Did anyone know she was still doing her research?  I admit to thinking she'd passed away (that was Dian Fossey, tho) - for those of us who do not know, Dame Goodall is the premier primatologist in the world; her research on chimpanzees has changed the way science and the lay community-at-large see these noble primates.

I make mention of her because I just viewed her talk on hope, that is - The Reason for Hope - The Way Ahead - and she talks at length about her days as a researcher and the dangers and delights she's witnessed over the years.  She did a one hour symposium at my job today so I got to view it on videocast...I just wanted to share (not the video, I'm unable to as its blocked from public access) as I find it interesting and engaging to listen to someone that I grew up learning and knowing about but never had a real clue as to what she was about or what she does and did.

For instance, did you know that she's trained chimps to recognize over 400 signs in ASL?  Or that they are quite proficient in computers w/touch pads and tools as well.  Wild stuff, eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Goodall
« Last Edit: 2011-04-11, 19:53:38 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Dame Jane Goodall
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-12, 15:48:10 »
I've seen the sign language, but not the computers. I thought she was long since "retired", though. The computers thing is pretty wild.

We need to get her together with the girl who trained the cow to jump. Cow armies may just be possible! (if anyone gets the diablo ii reference)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Dame Jane Goodall
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-12, 20:49:16 »
Diablo II was so long ago, I've forgotten most of it.  I never played it all the way through since it was a friend of mine who had a computer...we'd just play at his house but eventually I'd be relegated to watching.  LOL

Do researchers ever really retire?  I think she probably chairs a number of committees, and gives lectures like the one I viewed.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€