"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: i got bit bad  (Read 9149 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
i got bit bad
« on: 2011-04-01, 00:02:52 »
by the gun bug.

uggg recently i have been spending way to much time pondering over weapons of the projectile kind. recently my mom bought me a mossin nagant for my bday and for Christmas I bought a Fusil flintlock. i already own several other rifles and military items, but i have my eye on a 1917 eddystone and a 303 british refurbished by the US during the war. man i want them. of course there is a sweet sks at the same gun shop tooo AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH help me. i'll never get my kits done ehhehe

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: i got bit bad
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-01, 00:49:03 »
Buy a good sword, axe, or spear.

You'll feel better.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-01, 01:00:48 »
umm i have a few of those, or 20, maybe even 30 ehhehe

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-01, 03:55:42 »

Yeah, I have that problem too. I get on a sword kick for a while... then maces... then pole arms... then firearms... etc. I rotate through. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-01, 04:35:34 »
Buy a BMW r1200gs?

Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-01, 11:36:22 »
stop it, ure not helping heheehehehheeeh

http://www.keystonearsenal.com/page37.php

i want 1 of these bikes
« Last Edit: 2011-04-01, 11:38:32 by Sir Wolf »

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-04-01, 23:04:06 »
Albion sells bare blades. You could buy one and build yourself a custom sword.

Only 20 or 30? Clearly not enough. Remember, one for every year of your age!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-02, 03:50:27 »
Albion sells bare blades. You could buy one and build yourself a custom sword.

Only 20 or 30? Clearly not enough. Remember, one for every year of your age!
If that's the Modern Chivalry rule, then I'm SOL. ;)  My sword to age ratio is a very weak 1:8. :-[

My total weapon to age ratio is better at 1:3, does that qualify?
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-03, 19:11:20 »
ya but i sold some of my gear when i started getting into LH to pay for it. as well as my wife's glasses, taxes etc hehehe.

honestly don't remember the number of blades i do have... hmmmmmmmmmm

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-04, 14:03:44 »
Yeah, I'm probably the only one here that lives up to that "age rule" these days. And probably not for much longer. I'm going to sell off some of my older/cheaper stuff. And I keep getting older, despite my best efforts. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-04-04, 14:08:43 »
LOL @ Sir Edward

Hear, hear or here, here as well. 
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-04-04, 18:30:46 »
Yeah, I'm probably the only one here that lives up to that "age rule" these days. And probably not for much longer. I'm going to sell off some of my older/cheaper stuff. And I keep getting older, despite my best efforts. :)

I'm still in that club (and clearly NOT any photography clubs ;)).

http://www.james-anderson-iii.com/thearmory/pages/europeanweapons
and
http://www.james-anderson-iii.com/thearmory/pages/japaneseweapons

Though, my Age:Albion ratio is extremely poor, with the Albion count being 0. :(

A few high end pieces is quite often much better than a bunch of SS wall hangers. The primary use for all my wall hangers is so that potential thieves won't know what to take, and can't possibly carry it all in one or two trips. :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2011-04-04, 19:35:10 »
Sir James...I started with both wall hangers and low-end swords...even still, there are some on the lower end that spark my fancy, I see nothing wrong with a pretty piece for the sake of it on occasion.  I've only got the one Albion thus far, and quite fairly it lives up to the standards Albion is known for.  I think it is mostly a matter of aesthetics...it is a real beauty, but beauty alone does not a sword make.  It has excellent handling characteristics, the edge is robust yet keen and even (something you rarely find in Euro production swords from the shop) for the length of the blade.

I've done only a few bottles with it just to get a feel for it, but it is a dream.  From the sheer quality of the fit and finish, the materials used and again, overall aesthetic, I do believe everyone should have at least one Albion in their collection.  There are swords that can be had for less that will perform as admirably, but they may not look as refined.  Takes nothing away from the sword...but Albion knows its craft and their swords typically outshine the competition at least in looks.

I have found that Atrim swords make for better cutters and those are built for that purpose.  It is almost as an aside that they also are fair to the eye as well, but not like an Albion.  it is the pinnacle of my collection, such as it is...a custom scabbard is currently being made for it.

I think I'll probably pick up a couple of full-on custom swords, a Lundemo most especially, but the majority of my collection will be low to mid end fare.  I like swords and I'll always have a number of them, but a much greater number will (hopefully) pass through my hands than what I keep on hand.  Just my tuppence.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2011-04-04, 20:12:28 »
Hear, hear or here, here as well.  

You got it right on the first one. It essentially means "hear this."

A few high end pieces is quite often much better than a bunch of SS wall hangers. The primary use for all my wall hangers is so that potential thieves won't know what to take, and can't possibly carry it all in one or two trips. :D

Yeah, that's a very good use for the cheaper pieces. I guess I shouldn't feel bad that my katanas are all out on prominent display. The only one of those that's "worth" something is the Hanwei piece I have, and that didn't exactly break the bank either.

« Last Edit: 2011-04-04, 20:22:42 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #14 on: 2011-04-04, 20:21:35 »
Though, my Age:Albion ratio is extremely poor, with the Albion count being 0. :(

From the sheer quality of the fit and finish, the materials used and again, overall aesthetic, I do believe everyone should have at least one Albion in their collection.

Yep, I'd definitely highly recommend Albion swords to anyone who has an interest in swords. As I was explaining to someone not too long ago, the difference is really this: With a cheap knock-off, you have exactly that. It's an inexpensive replica. With an Albion, since they take the time to capture the subtle features that make a sword that is both elegant and highly functional, right down to the complex blade geometry and proper balance and weight distribution, you're getting a real sword. Not just a replica. It's still a replica in that it's not a historical original, but it's a real sword in its construction and functional capability.

This can also be said of the A&A pieces. I highly recommend them as well (armor.com). There's not a lot of overlap with Albion, they're open to customizations, and some of their pieces are even more affordable. Plus they make polearms. They're a good choice as well.

« Last Edit: 2011-04-04, 20:21:57 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III