"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: A Question of Glues for Shields.  (Read 2683 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
A Question of Glues for Shields.
« on: 2011-03-22, 19:56:24 »
OK, I plan to make as historically correct a center grip round (for a 8th cen pre-rus Scandinavian) as I can afford to at sometime in the near future. This will be a shield for single combat like the Einvigi or Hólmganga and not for the shield wall thus it will be no more than 30" across and be needful of strength, lightness, & weatherproofness.

What, in your experience, is the best kind of natural Glue to use?

I ask because I've heard of using Rabbit Hide Glue, Horse Hoof Glue, Cheese Glue, and Bone Glue and am sure there are more so thus I wonder what has worked best for some of y'all.

-Ivan

BTW for on-historically correct glue for shields Titebond 3 is keen. :)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Robert

• Sir Robert
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • A leasanna a chosaint agus
Re: A Question of Glues for Shields.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-22, 20:04:09 »
Sorry love to help but I have never used historically accurate glues. Its an admirable idea but organic glues are problematic for logevity and being handled. They become brittle and loose adhesion as they tend to crack (or at least they do in furnature) best of luck though, I only have experience with horse glues.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-22, 20:22:16 »
Your group actually stages holmganga?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-23, 01:20:25 »
Some groups do as an equivalent to Barrier fighting for early periods, also there is the Bear Pit tourney held... somewhere. :-\

I just wanted to set the stage in your mind. The purpose of this will be for small melee's and for Tourneys.

And, no, I will NOT be using the damned 'Iron Chicken' stance.
Fall down seven, get up eight.