"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Armor for SwordChick  (Read 93067 times)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Armor for SwordChick
« Reply #90 on: 2008-06-09, 18:19:44 »
Unfortunately I'll be in New York for the Chivalric Weekend. That's too bad, otherwise I would have definately liked to meet up.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #91 on: 2008-06-12, 10:47:04 »
Well, the legs were a huge disappointment.  The "upgraded" versions did not come with the greaves, had no way to  point them without modifications, and were poor workmanship in general.  They will be going back.  :(

I'll be posting on the classifieds hoping someone wants to get rid of a pair of the original ones.  Otherwise, back to the drawing board...
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #92 on: 2008-06-12, 11:48:01 »
can u take a picture first before you send them back?  pointing places can always be fixed. back workmanship is hard to fix. sorry u didnt like them :(

Sword Chick

• Forum Follower
« Reply #93 on: 2008-06-12, 12:59:26 »
My gripe with the pointing places is the "not as advertised" issue.  The legs that we ordered and the ones that we received were completely different.   >:(

I'm extremely disappointed in the customer service of Revival Martial Arts (absolutely not to be confused with Revival Clothing, a company with outstanding customer service.)  Our credit card was charged ages ago and no product arrived until Mark called last week to inquire.  They acted confused that we had not been contacted already and said they would send out the "upgraded" version immediately.  It's also very suspicious that the legs are no longer listed on the website.  (The old link still works, but if you do a search on leg harness, nothing appears.)

"Upgrading" is certainly in the eye of the beholder.  If possible, I'll try to get a photo or two of them.  Mark may have loaded them in his car already.  He's going to call Revival Martial Arts and send the legs back soon. 

I'm sad because the ones we ordered were a nice fit for off the rack.  It was fun when Sir Christian was here and helped me play Cinderella and try them on.  (Much cooler and more practical than glass slippers.)
~Steinman/Pitchford

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #94 on: 2008-06-12, 14:26:45 »
Yeah, they really were a disappointment. They'd be fine for SCA combat, I suppose, but they had non-historical brass border rivited on (it was kind of hokey looking, in a way), they were much heavier, a little bigger, and, as Pamela said, there were no greaves. Ed pointed out several places where there seemed to be mistakes in the construction (extra holes, etc), but at least those didn't show unless you went looking for them. Still, the biggest problem, as Pamela said, is that these are not the legs that were advertised.

I've cancelled my order with them because of this. :( I'm also completely done with Revival.us/Chivalry Bookshelf. I've had issues with getting books from them in the past, had damaged goods show up from them, and had a number of little issues. I used to give them the benefit of the doubt for being a small company. But at this point I realize I've given them far too many chances, so my money is going elsewhere from here on out. Its a shame, because they have products I like, but from now on if any of my students asks me about them, I'm going to steer them someplace else.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #95 on: 2008-06-12, 17:48:22 »
Yeah this is a real shame. Functionally, the legs would be fine for use. My biggest gripe is that they're not what was advertised on the site, and they did some things in the construction that just seemed sloppy.

Examples -- As Bill already mentioned, there were extra holes drilled. It looked like a few were drilled in the wrong spots, so new ones were drilled correctly. We found about 4 or 5 of these in the pair. They're not visible from the outside and wouldn't hurt anything, so it's more of a "sloppy" thing than being a real flaw.

Also, the straps look like they were all picked at random out of a box of leftovers or something. No two were alike. All different colors and thicknesses. At least usually both sections of leather in each pair matched, but there was one obvious case where they didn't. Some of them were riveted in such a way that you could rotate the leather on the rivet, and others you couldn't.

The edges were rolled well, and the cuisses were nicely shaped. Much heavier than the previous design, but not out of spec I don't think (and well suited for SCA combat I think). However, the articulation in the knees wasn't as smooth as I'd prefer, allowing one knee to bend a bit further than the other.

The brass edging didn't look good to me, but for SCA combat it wouldn't matter (and is perhaps fancier than what many people use). I know the legs in my harness have practically no detailing, or contouring to the shape of the leg, and this set has more on both counts. But then again, mine doesn't have mistakes and inconsistent use of leather.

I think they'd be fine as a beater set on the field if you're an SCA fighter who wants a late 14th or 15th C sort of look.

« Last Edit: 2008-06-12, 17:54:16 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sword Chick

• Forum Follower
« Reply #96 on: 2008-06-12, 18:59:00 »
Photos.  As Ed stated, these would be fine for some purposes.  They simply will not do for mine.

I tried to get a full shot of both, a shot of a pair of leather straps and one of the mis-made holes.  This was a rush job, so the quality of the pics is not good.
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #97 on: 2008-06-12, 19:21:26 »
ug thats horrible.

glad u sent them back too. i know it must be dissapointing. :(

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #98 on: 2008-06-12, 20:20:05 »
Are they going to give you the full refund?

Sword Chick

• Forum Follower
« Reply #99 on: 2008-06-12, 20:56:02 »
Mark called today and, yes, we will be getting a full refund.  Though it might be a good idea to double check our credit card statement to make sure that we do.
~Steinman/Pitchford

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #100 on: 2008-06-17, 03:39:56 »
I got my full refund from them, so that's good news. They said they plan on having the old style in stock soon, that's why they hadn't sent it to me. I'm not holding my breath.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #101 on: 2008-06-19, 16:31:23 »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #102 on: 2008-06-19, 17:54:30 »

Wow, the flash reflects away making them look almost black. Do you have a tripod to take pics without the flash?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #103 on: 2008-06-20, 02:20:22 »
Yeah, those are the same legs that I have. They're a little "tanky" in terms of weight, but otherwise they're pretty decent. And I think they fit Pamela well enough, too.

Sword Chick

• Forum Follower
« Reply #104 on: 2008-06-20, 02:55:07 »
Yeah, those are the same legs that I have. They're a little "tanky" in terms of weight, but otherwise they're pretty decent. And I think they fit Pamela well enough, too.

Would you mind letting me try them on again sometime?  (Insert Das Bill's sarcastic reply here.)  :)
~Steinman/Pitchford