"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: Armor for SwordChick  (Read 93057 times)

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
Re: Armor for SwordChick
« Reply #120 on: 2008-08-06, 17:31:51 »
i dunno, they dont look too off from the ones you got.  i would say stay clear of these imho.

No, they look the same as the ones I ordered.  My problem was that the ones received were not what I ordered.  I received the "upgraded" ones, which were anything but.  I was wondering if the old ones were back in stock or if it was more false advertising.  Everyone is away at Pennsic so I'll wait until sometime next week to shoot them an email and see what happens.

See, I really liked the old ones.  I tried on Christian's and they fit my long scrawny legs pretty well for something that's off the rack.
« Last Edit: 2008-08-06, 17:32:46 by Sword Chick »
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #121 on: 2008-08-06, 19:20:48 »
oh i see, my apologies i misunderstoof you.

Sword Chick

• Forum Follower
« Reply #122 on: 2008-08-06, 19:26:08 »
No apologies needed.  I didn't make myself clear.  :)
~Steinman/Pitchford

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Armor for SwordChick - Legs
« Reply #123 on: 2008-08-10, 21:56:00 »
So what do you think?  The descriptions are slightly different, but to my untrained eye the photos look like the same legs.

The new listing
http://www.revival.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=336

The previous listing
http://www.revival.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=293

Do I try again?  And I wonder what happened to the greaves if they are the same.  Certainly neither picture matches the legs that were actually sent to me the first time. 

It looks like they no longer include greaves. It also looks like they've increased the steel thickness... I don't know what the previous ones were, but I recall Christian's felt fairly light, and these current ones are 14 gauge (not likely to be very light). The price is still very good, particularly for stainless steel, but due to previous experiences with the company, I personally suggest you not give them any money. If I recall, the GDFB ones that I have fit you well (you can always try them on again if you want), and if you go through our "source", you might be able to get them for not too much more than the Revival.us ones.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sword Chick

• Forum Follower
« Reply #124 on: 2008-08-10, 22:33:01 »
If I recall, the GDFB ones that I have fit you well (you can always try them on again if you want)

I'd like to take you up on that.  :)
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #125 on: 2008-08-10, 23:57:27 »
the source also said the greaves were back in stock.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #126 on: 2008-08-11, 02:22:06 »
It looks like they no longer include greaves. It also looks like they've increased the steel thickness... I don't know what the previous ones were, but I recall Christian's felt fairly light, and these current ones are 14 gauge (not likely to be very light). The price is still very good, particularly for stainless steel, but due to previous experiences with the company, I personally suggest you not give them any money. If I recall, the GDFB ones that I have fit you well (you can always try them on again if you want), and if you go through our "source", you might be able to get them for not too much more than the Revival.us ones.

I remember those as being very light as well. Possibly 18 gauge?

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sword Chick

• Forum Follower
Gauntlets
« Reply #127 on: 2008-10-19, 23:45:37 »
Hi Gentlemen!

I need your help again.  I noticed that The Mercenary's Tailor is having a sale on gauntlets.  I emailed about sizing and if I send gloves that fit me, Mr. Senefelder would line a pair of gauntlets with those.

So, would any of these gauntlets work with my armour thus far?

What are your recommendations?
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #128 on: 2008-10-20, 04:23:36 »

I'm thinking you'd probably want the finger-gaunts:  http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=43&osCsid=99pvddm3vn491hr90krv53n5g3

You could go with the mitten gauntlets, but they'll be more restrictive for handling a sword. And the demi-gaunts won't do much to protect the fingers, though they may not need to since they cover most of the hand when closed. The Wisby gauntlets (I'm tempted to get these for use in class with the steel blunts) is probably a little outside of the style and period you're going for. Wisby was mid 14th C, but the Sallet I believe you ended up with is later in the 15th.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #129 on: 2008-10-20, 17:54:18 »
We can do the mittens either in the more traditional manner, with the finger tips sewn to a leather tab riveted to the final plate of the assembley of with a second strap at the fingertips which the fingers can be disengaged from if desired.

The finger bucklers cover the fingers fully and as they're on sale as well would be an option with the demi gauntlets that would work.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #130 on: 2008-10-20, 19:11:30 »

How does the sizing normally work? Do you work from a measurement of the circumference around the knuckle-portion of the hand, and maybe an overall hand length? Or something similar? I'm curious, because you're getting me tempted now. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sword Chick

• Forum Follower
« Reply #131 on: 2008-10-20, 19:26:41 »
I'm very very tempted.  :)  It's just a matter of which ones would go best with the pieces I currently have.

Would my dishpan hands yellow gloves be appropriate liners or would the color be too inaccurate?
~Steinman/Pitchford

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #132 on: 2008-10-20, 19:45:34 »
If you want them for functionality, the Mercenary Tailor gauntlets are very nice. But I don't think the current models really match your harness, Pamela. Most of them have elements of later period armours, though the Wisby gauntlets are definately 14th century.

The finger bucklers might work with demi-gauntets, though. There are a number of those seen in Paulus Kal (and I think in Talhoffer as well). I'm at a Panera Bread at the moment, and they block weapons related sites, so I can't see the Merc. Tailor site at the moment to check to see how close they'd be. I've thought about getting a pair for myself, though, since they seem like an easy way to get good finger protection.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #133 on: 2008-10-20, 20:56:53 »
I'm at a Panera Bread at the moment, and they block weapons related sites, so I can't see the Merc. Tailor site at the moment to check to see how close they'd be.

Augh, that's outrageous. I hate that sort of "politically correct" junk. Next thing you know, they'll be blocking one political party's web content and not another. :)

« Last Edit: 2008-10-20, 21:12:49 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #134 on: 2008-10-20, 22:36:11 »
Bill, I was so glad that Jason picked up "In the Service of The Duke" at CW '07 from Christian, contained in its lavish illustrations are several examples of finger bucklers ( as well as bevors being used with chaple de fers ). Previously I had been limited to one Italian pair shown in a sculptural effigy as reference. That book is just a wealth of knowlege as far as armour of that period goes!

I told Pam via email earlier that if theres a pair of gloves that you have that you like working with we can install those rather than our stock welding glove in everything but the Wisbys. Theres no extra charge for it.