"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Soft Kit for DoK  (Read 11824 times)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Soft Kit for DoK
« on: 2012-09-15, 23:53:50 »
Got some last minute stuff in from HE.  Here's a quick shot of one iteration of the soft kit.  Everything you see here is wool, and surprisingly comfortable.  I'm looking for any obvious glaring errors that I need to fix prior to DoK if anyone has anything.  The one thing that irks me that I can't help is that the fit of the chausses are a little loose.  I've got to get one size too big because my feet won't fit in the next size down, even though they would be more fitted to the leg.

Also, does anyone have a trick to making a livery collar not fall out of place any time you lean in any direction?  :D

For clarity's sake:  Mid to Late 14th Century England.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-15, 23:55:51 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: Soft Kit for DoK
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-16, 05:36:42 »
Safety pins to the shirt from underneath so not noticed should do it. Nice look, Ian. Very sharp & historical. I don't know why people like the rondel daggers. Guess it's just preference. 
« Last Edit: 2012-09-16, 10:34:19 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-16, 08:33:52 »
Nice, maybe I should pick up a tunic by them. What one did you pick out? Cause I dont want one thats too long as I am not exactly tall.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-16, 12:24:40 »

Looking good! I agree, some hidden safety pins might help with keeping things in place. I think the kit is really looking good, so I'm not sure what you might want to add to it.

Man, I need to finish mine. :)

I took a photo with what I had when some of it arrived. I've since switched the tunic for the next size up for a better fit, and added a wool lyrapipe hood with dags as an alternate choice to the linen hood shown:

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-16, 12:37:00 »
put the chausis on inside out, mark where they are too large with a piece of chalk, pin the new line and sew it. turn them right side out and try them. then turn them wrong side out again and cut off the excess. make sure you dont make them too tight in the ankles and knees.

ya just use hidden safety pins. only u will know. or mark where you want it to sit and put a few cheater stitches with the same color thread as the mantle. and sew it in place

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-09-16, 13:16:48 »
put the chausis on inside out, mark where they are too large with a piece of chalk, pin the new line and sew it. turn them right side out and try them. then turn them wrong side out again and cut off the excess. make sure you dont make them too tight in the ankles and knees.

ya just use hidden safety pins. only u will know. or mark where you want it to sit and put a few cheater stitches with the same color thread as the mantle. and sew it in place

Awesome idea for the chausses Sir Wolf, thank you!

Nice, maybe I should pick up a tunic by them. What one did you pick out? Cause I dont want one thats too long as I am not exactly tall.

It's the Bocksten tunic in wool, the 'one size' option. I'm about 5'10" and thin, and it fits fairly well, much better than my revival linen.

Safety pins to the shirt from underneath so not noticed should do it. Nice look, Ian. Very sharp & historical. I don't know why people like the rondel daggers. Guess it's just preference. 

Thanks, as far as the rondel, it's one of the most documented daggers appropriate for my little niche in the timeline, I probably could have done a ballock dagger as well, but rondels look nice and mean to me :)

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!
« Last Edit: 2012-09-16, 13:17:16 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #6 on: 2012-09-16, 13:26:11 »
Very Dapper gentlemen.
Don`t forget your head wear, it wasn`t the done thing for men of rank to be seen outdoors without head covering  ;) A nice Chaperon would go great.
http://www.kats-hats.co.uk/chaperon.shtml
G.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-16, 13:26:56 by Sir Gerard de Rodes »
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-09-16, 13:32:20 »
Very Dapper gentlemen.
Don`t forget your head wear, it wasn`t the done thing for men of rank to be seen outdoors without head covering  ;) A nice Chaperon would go great.
http://www.kats-hats.co.uk/chaperon.shtml
G.

Excellent Sir Gerard, thank you!

Are simple linen coifs not appropriate for men of station?  What about underneath something fancier like a wool brimmed hat?
« Last Edit: 2012-09-16, 13:33:12 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #8 on: 2012-09-16, 13:40:12 »
Yes I`m sure that would do just fine  ;)
G
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-09-16, 13:48:25 »
Yes I`m sure that would do just fine  ;)
G

Great!  I ask, only because I have the stuff I described on hand! :)
My Pinterest

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2012-09-16, 23:04:06 »

Sir Wolf, I did the procedure you suggested for the chausses (well, for the sake of total transparency, my wife did it :) ) and it worked like a charm.  Took about 5 total minutes, and they fit much better now.  Thank you for the suggestion!
My Pinterest

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2012-09-17, 01:21:01 »
awesome. thats how i do it. use the generic patterns and then tailor it to fit. glad to be of service!

oh ya don't forget your hats! you must must wear a hat in medieval attire. it's forbidden heheh not to

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2012-09-17, 19:50:19 »
I ordered the anglo saxon tunic with a hood, should fit in for my 13th century impression. I dont think i'm tall enough for the gown type tunic so I got the anglo saxon one instead, in copper and black and I got the hood in copper. Should work for me for this soft kit.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-09-17, 20:53:07 »
That looks great to me!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2012-09-20, 18:32:53 »

My stuff arrived, not sure if it fits well enough color wise but I went with copper because it matched the hood I got. Wool is itchy though, prefer linen but wearing the linen undershirt sorta solves the itchy problem.