"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: A&A Saxon Military Sword & Elector of Saxony dagger  (Read 15047 times)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Another sword I've wanted for quite some time from A&A:

http://www.armor.com/sword135.html

I used to not care for this type of hilt (AVB Norman type 12). Around 2003 or so I was in the Met, and I somehow really took a strong liking to these northern European styled hilts of the 16th century, and suddenly I really wanted the A&A Saxon military sword. Nathan Robinson owns one, and I got to handle it when I last visited him, and I really fell in love with it. It has a wonderful feel to it, and it is a wonderful example of how broad the term "rapier" really is. The weapon is without a doubt a military weapon (hence the name), but the function is not really that different from a number of more civilian-oriented rapiers.

So, now that A&A is having their sale, I decided I'd get one. I also really wanted their Elector of Saxony dagger:

http://www.armor.com/dagg113.html

I've always thought this was a really pretty dagger. It also happens to match the sword quite well: The fullers on the blade, as well as the grip, are almost perfect matches, considering that they aren't specifically intended to go with each other. I asked to have the fittings blued so that it would match even more.

These probably won't come for awhile, but I went ahead and got my name on the list while the price was right.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: A&A Saxon Military Sword & Elector of Saxony dagger
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-12, 21:31:14 »
That's great! Those are absolutely gorgeous. I'm envious. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2008-10-24, 22:55:26 »
These have been shipped, so I should be getting a package soon... along with some other goodies from A&A. :)
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Dragonlover

« Reply #3 on: 2008-10-25, 00:50:24 »
Wow! Congrats once again Bill!
Those are definitely a gorgeos set! Does the blade end abruptly into the blackened
hilt section? Seems kind of like the hilt just ends at the blade, if you know what I mean. :)
 Very beautiful couple of pieces to be sure.... Vivat!!! :D

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2008-10-25, 05:32:38 »
Does the blade end abruptly into the blackened
hilt section? Seems kind of like the hilt just ends at the blade, if you know what I mean. :)

The blade goes into the ricasso area of the hilt. Whereas some swords have you wrap your finger around the blade itself, here you wrap the finger around an extension of the hilt. The sword is a replica of a 16th century weapon (and a very close replica, both visually and in handling dynamics).

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2008-10-25, 16:52:08 »
Sweet, can't wait to put fingerprints all over it. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Dragonlover

« Reply #6 on: 2008-10-25, 20:27:50 »
Ah! Very good explanation. So you DID get what I meant! :) I think I
would actually prefer that set up as opposed to the finger round the blade
sort of grip. Congrats once again and may they serve you long and well!

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2008-10-27, 19:23:42 »

I'll lick the hilt so you won't touch it. :-P

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2008-10-27, 20:18:30 »

I'll lick the hilt so you won't touch it. :-P

Haha, well, I can just grab the blade!

*ducks for cover* :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2008-11-12, 21:11:04 »
Oh, my Christmas came a little early today... Will post more when I have more time. All I can say right now is that I am one very happy sword swinger. :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2008-11-12, 21:56:38 »

Pictures!!!
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2008-12-05, 04:42:01 »
Finally took some pics today, and I went ahead and took a group shot of my whole order.

-Writhen Rapier (not pictured) with a practice blade: This is a hilt that I'd picked up second hand a little while back, and I had A&A put a practice blade on for practicing Bolognese swordsmanship. The quality is top notch: A nice, hard blade, safe enough for practice but handles like a very stout spada da filo. It isn't pictured because I forgot to bring it home from the fencing academy.

-German Rapier with nail head practice blade: Perhaps one of the most attractive of the entire A&A rapier line up (though its hard to pick just one favorite). I'd asked Craig to make a longer blade than the stock model, and A&A came through with flying colors. Despite having a different blade than the standard hilt, it was tapered nicely to compensate for this. It is very lively in both cut and thrust, and has just the right balance between flex on the debole of the blade and rigidity on the forte.

-12th Century Spear with rebated edge and take down shaft: This spear is the answer to my traveling prayers. I do a lot of demos for schools, libraries, special events, as well as teaching at various locations away from the academy, and it has always been difficult for me to carry spears around. I'd asked A&A to make me a blunt spear that could be broken down at the haft into two halves. I've seen some martial arts pole arms that do this, and all of them have been fairly flimsy. I have to admit, I wasn't expecting very much from this one based on those experiences, but A&A proved me wrong. They managed to have the piece fit together in such a way that it is rock solid... maybe not quite as perfect a solid haft, but really, really close. Further, they even used a steel sleeve over the connection that is surprisingly attractive.

-Polehammer: This one is essentially the stock model of warhammer that A&A sells, but with a longer haft. I love it. It really dispels the myth that poleaxe-type weapons are clunky and slow: It is very maneuverable in the hands while still packing one heck of a punch on the strike.

-Saxon Military Sword: I bought this sword because it is a very classic example of a military sword that clearly shows how hazy the definition of "rapier" is. Little did I know that it would become my favorite handling sword out of the entire A&A line up (and I've handled most of their swords). Its quite incredible, and most people who've handled it agree. It can easily make full cuts from the arm, but has fantastic tip control. It is very light and lively, and could easily be used with either the more spada da filo styled systems of fencing as well as the more point-oriented rapier styles.

-Elector of Saxony Parrying dagger with blued hilt: I bought this because it makes a nice match for the Saxon Military rapier. The standard model has a polished hilt, but I had it blued to further match the sword. This is a very attractive piece: The detailing on the hilt is very crisp, and the shaping is quite nice.

-Scabbards: I ordered scabbards for the rapier and dagger with the bronze fittings, as well as a simple one for my rondel dagger (which I already owned). Unfortunately, there was a problem with the bronze castings, so A&A wanted to redo them, and will ship them later.

-Poleaxe hafts: I'd ordered two poleaxe hafts, as I have two heads that I needed to fit, and the ones that A&A have are already shaped properly, saving me a lot of work.

Dragonlover

« Reply #13 on: 2008-12-05, 11:10:39 »
Sweet! Merry Christmas Bill! ;D

Christian Tobler

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: 2008-12-05, 15:13:46 »
Hi Bill,

Lovely, lovely stuff.

Now you have to have me down to visit again so I can play with all of these...;)

Christian