"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: My Pikeman's armor  (Read 11852 times)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: My Pikeman's armor
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-17, 22:32:56 »
We do mid 16th to mid 17th century. We are able to portray several different units in that time period, at PaRF we are the fictional Mount Hope Trayned Band but we also do a company of foote (the regiment we belong to evades me at the moment) for ECW events and this year we added the 1630s Massachusetts Colony Militia to our portfolio.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-17, 22:47:08 »
Ahh, nice. 17th century is a fun era
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-18, 13:58:54 »
Why'd it take them so long to come up with the buff coat?  That should be 14th Century at least!  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-18, 17:35:46 »
Because leather became a lot less expensive then.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-18, 20:17:08 »
How was it expensive?  You go out, kill a deer, skin it, cut up the steaks, dry and tan the hide- pretty simple.  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-18, 22:38:52 »
Yeah, leather was pretty expensive before the 16th cent., and even then it wasn't what I would call super cheap. I'm not sure why, but I would guess it would have to do with demand. Alot things were made out of leather or fur pelts and that would naturally drive up the price. Plus, tanning is a very long and involved process, not to mention very dirty and smelly. That might also have figured into the expense.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-19, 14:42:46 »
Because a Buff Coat wasn't made of deerskin, it was made out of Cow skin. It needs a thicker skin to be able to dependably stop a sword. Buff coats were quite thick, some said being able to stop pistol shots from a medium range (for a pistol) and caliver shot from a long range.

Cows were worth a good bit of money in period. It wasn't until the 16th and 17th centuries where people had enough unused land to stick enough cattle on it to really make killing them for skin worth it.   

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-19, 14:55:10 »
I'm going to butcher me a cow one day...and take his hide for my buff coat.  lol

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2011-08-19, 18:12:36 »
Go for it. Watch out for the farmers though. Peasants are none too pleased when you start skinning their income......

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-08-19, 18:24:03 »
I'll show'm a little steel and they'll be on their way...or end up with pretty bright steel jutting proudly from their chests or backs. 

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2011-08-19, 22:05:11 »
From what I've been able to uncover, the period Buff Coats were made from the European Bison or Wisent, a distant relative of the American Bison. Their hides are very thick and would be suitable for such a coat. Modern Buff Coats are most likely made from Bull hides. Period Buff Coats have been said to have stopped musket balls at medium range and pistol balls at far range as well as turn poorly aimed sword strokes. I think that their strength may be a bit exagerated, but mine is indeed pretty thick and tough. I'm not sure I't let anyone hit me with a sword or shoot a pistol at me from long range when I'm in it, though.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #26 on: 2011-08-19, 22:33:21 »
Sir Matthew,
The English civil war kit looks great.  ;)
Although I really don`t get very enthused by these "later period" garbs as I don`t see them as medieval or even very "knightly".
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2011-08-19, 22:53:56 »
Sir Matthew,
Although I really don`t get very enthused by these "later period" garbs as I don`t see them as medieval or even very "knightly".
G.

I was hoping you would chime in. It's nice to have someone from across the pond be able to critique what we are doing over here in representing you. I wasn't much of a fan of later kits either, but once I started playing with matchlocks and cannons, I was hooked. I don't pretend to be representing Knights and Chivalry with this kit, but at some point I fully intend to finish my Mid-1300s Teutonic kit. I've pretty much picked up most of my big ticket items for this era, I just have a couple things to wrap up, then I'll focus on my Knightly kit.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #28 on: 2011-08-19, 23:49:15 »
Sir Matthew,
G.

I was hoping you would chime in. It's nice to have someone from across the pond be able to critique what we are doing over here in representing you. I wasn't much of a fan of later kits either, but once I started playing with matchlocks and cannons, I was hooked. I don't pretend to be representing Knights and Chivalry with this kit, but at some point I fully intend to finish my Mid-1300s Teutonic kit. I've pretty much picked up most of my big ticket items for this era, I just have a couple things to wrap up, then I'll focus on my Knightly kit.

Sir Matthew,
One of the most prominent re-enactment groups here in the UK is the "Sealed Knot". They are the biggest English civil war re-enactment group in the world (and don`t they know it). If you need any pointers, look to them.
I am all for people doing/re-enacting other periods, if money alowed I would also be doing WWII.
I really believe that the C14th is the most interesting medieval period for many reasons; 100 years war, Armour progression, fashions, chivalric ideals etc etc.
You mention black powder and I can`t help but get enthused. I am in the middle of getting a C14th handgonne made for display purposes.

Good luck with the C14th kit, please don`t go over to the dark side of the C15th, they might be shiney and clanky but they aint chivalrous (awaits onslaught of comments).

Touching the match to the hole,
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2011-08-20, 01:41:28 »
All I'll say is that IMO the knight's golden era were between the 13th-15th centuries. I plan to cover them all.

And Go TEUTONIC! WOOO!!!  ;D ;D ;D