Main > The Courtyard

In simplicity, do you find your greatness?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg ---How do you feel about 'The Basics'? What are your 'Basics'?
--- End quote ---

Think of a well built house.  The basics are your foundation, both literally and figuratively.  All the rest is window dressing.

My time in the SCA has taught me a few fundamental basics.  I'm no expert and I do get schooled by others, but here are my thoughts.

Range - Know your opponents’ range.
Footwork - Stand still and die.
Shot Combinations - Don't simply strike and reload.  (The exact shot combinations are just your personal preference.)
Have Fun - If you're not, you're doing something wrong.

SirNathanQ:
Another good point I mention, is that "basics doesn't mean only doing the very beginner move right, the exact same way it was taught to you in the very beginning.
For instance, when throwing cuts in longsword, you don't have to follow the swing the whole half-way around your body, as you probably did in the beginning to get the edge alignment correct. You can immediately drop into guards, follow with a reverse cut with the false edge, ect. (I know those are incredibly simple things to do after a cut, but they are just for examples) You wouldn't be doing it the same way, and some might not call it a basic, but as long as you maintain the correct movement (in this instance a cut) you are still keeping your basics strong.

Sir Brian:
At the MASHS session yesterday we started doing some drills on grappling with the sword. We did two basic ones when coming to the bind doing an Oberhau from right vom Tag. The first was releasing the secondary hand thereby going soft in the bind and simultaneously grabbing the wrist/hand/forearm of your opponent and pushing it away along with their blade while doing a slope pace to make a pommel strike.

The second grapple from the same bind was again releasing the secondary hand then wrapping your pommel over your opponent’s primary wrist while making a slope pace and bringing the long edge against the side of their neck and using their wrist as a fulcrum to force your opponent down using your secondary hand on your blade for additional leverage.

As we were working the second drill some of us inquired if there was any documented counter to the move. We then tried a few various counter moves with none really being effective until we came to the realization that you need to execute the counter move immediately when you feel your opponents pommel wrap around your wrist, the counter being you must release your secondary hand and grab their hand close to the guard while making your own slope pace when you can then execute a complete reversal and bring your blade against your opponents neck.

Yep the longsword is simple, efficient and deadly in its economy of effort and motion. :)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-03-21, 14:19:37 ---Yep the longsword is simple, efficient and deadly in its economy of effort and motion. :)

--- End quote ---

This is why I love it so. :)

SirNathanQ:
Ah the longsword. Such a beautiful weapon.
Will always be my favorite.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version