Main > The Courtyard

In simplicity, do you find your greatness?

(1/3) > >>

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote ---"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."
~ Bruce Lee
--- End quote ---

Very recently I have realized that I have gotten away from the Basics again and have suffered in result. Not only are the Basics good, but I like them. When I win with a solidly basic move I feel like I did something 'right'. Winning with an advanced move is merely nice.

Maybe I have only been getting away from myself in pursuit of something not me?

The Romans had people who could be seen as duelists but they also had the Legion, and the Legion's bread and butter were the basics. One could say that the Empire was made, in part, from basic sword work.

How do you feel about 'The Basics'? What are your 'Basics'?

-Ivan

(Above classic quote stolen from: The Twenty Best Martial Arts Quotes of All Time)

Sir Edward:

Dang, there's a lot of truth to that. It reminds me that I really need to drill my cuts and guards a lot more. I don't usually get to practice outside of class, because I don't have the space for it in my house, and there's no yard. And I suffer for it. Repetition is a good thing, and I need to do more!

SirNathanQ:
Well really, advanced moves are simply supposed to build upon the basics. To do the advanced moves well, you should learn the basics behind them even better.
Also alot goes in the way of combat mindset and versatility. You know?

Thorsteinn:
I was so out of practice that I recently won a HEMA sparring match by using an advanced trick (well.. combo really) and I did it to a beginner. I should have beaten him with basics, but I was too out of practice. He learned nothing, and that was my fault.

The victory felt hollow, but it did tell me I need to get back into practice.

Then this flu-cough thing started...

Sir William:
A win's a win...in the end, that's what mattered.  Back then, anyway.  I get your point...the basics are the building blocks...if they're shaky, the whole structure's flawed.  I think its easy to get away from the basics as your skill increases, but it isn't necessarily a good thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version