Main > The Armoury

Armour Stand

<< < (4/10) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-06-03, 17:44:04 ---That's very cool! My armour just sits in plastic crates when not in use.  :o  Perhaps I should try making a stand like yours!

I wonder if it is possible to make the shoulders slightly angle downwards so that it looks more like when you are wearing it? I'm not sure how one would do this with the stock pieces at Home Depot.

--- End quote ---

They should have 45* angle pieces. I know the smaller diameter piping does, but I've never looked for the larger diameter ones.

If that's not viable or is too expensive, I made my stands out of 2x4s:

I think I spent $6 in materials, it's easy and takes maybe 15-20 minutes. Nothing more than 2x4s and some screws, and I've used the same style for 4 sets of armor.

Sir Wolf:
how do u get them to attach to the walls like that and not fall? do u not have the same gravity limits as i do?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-06-04, 00:55:54 ---how do u get them to attach to the walls like that and not fall? do u not have the same gravity limits as i do?

--- End quote ---

I make gravity work for me, instead of against me. They're leaning against the wall at a 15* or so angle. Since there's no base, it's easy to maneuver, and once I have the armor on it, I just lean it against the wall. I have some 50 lb clear fishing line that I used to tie the legs around the "hips" area (where the horizontal brace is) to keep them upright, and also to tie the spaulders and arms to the top; there's no actual arms on my frame. I have some 45* shoulders that I put on my original prototype frame, but the armor sat funny; I think I need it for the 14th C armor pictured, since the shoulders are too far "in". I'll be doing that soon, since the armor is off for (hopeful) use soon.

The first one I made (barely visible on the left) for my samurai armor, I put feet on. I realized it was better to forego them, so that I can put sabatons/shoes on them, since there's no "base".

Edit: the arms and spaulders are tied off in an X fashion; left arm crossed over and tied on the right, right over the left. They stay in place well, but I haven't devised a system to attach the gauntlets yet, which I just got a few weeks ago (and the stand is many months old).

Sir Wolf:
hahaqh no i meant cause your picture is sideways ;)

i did a cross bottom, i put a 2x4 out from each side of the vertical one. then i ended up taking the back on off so i could scoot it closer to the wall.  i have 2 small headless nails on each of the shoulders and each side of the horizontal waist 2x4 in order to hold the pauldrons and legs at their arming points

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-06-03, 17:46:10 ---Forgot to ask: How do you attach the gauntlets?

--- End quote ---

Sir Wolf is correct.  I've drilled a few holes near the termination of the PVC "wrists" allowing paracord ties to secure the gauntlets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version