Main > The Armoury

riveted long sleeved shirt for 400

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
I was originally gonna get it from there actually, cause it's fairly cheap there.

I saw it upclose here and it lacks the "burnished" look that my fave maille types have.
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=130471

Sir William:
I had gotten a similar one from Medieval Collectables (Canada) - replete with dousing of WD-40 so I sent it back.  When I tried it on I ended up w/black smears all over my gambeson and I was NOT happy about it so I got a credit and went w/a hauberk from wholesalearmor - I believe it is now out of business.

Sir Edward:

A lot of the time armor is shipped with black grease or something along those lines just to keep it from rusting in storage and shipment. It's a pain, but you're expected to clean it off yourself. :) Last time I did that, I put it in a bucket and sloshed it around with mineral spirits (I think this was my fauld or voiders, which is a bit easier than a hauberk).

Sir William:
But then it requires some form of treatment in order to maintain the mail, right?  I know, as it was in history, but well, I don't like the black marks or the smell.  lol

Sir Rodney:
Riveted mail is my next big purchase.  The weight reduction and combat durability are worth the expense.  Unfortunately, my armour budget is tapped out for the moment. :(

The gentleman is also offering "my" bascinet for sale.  It's not much of a bargain at $125 used with some rust.  A new one from KOA runs $138.  This bascinet does require some considerable modifications to meet SCA combat standards, but it is an excellent base piece with which to have fun and experiment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version