Main > The Armoury

riveted long sleeved shirt for 400

<< < (3/3)

Sir William:
Weight reduction?  As opposed to fighting in plate?

Sir Edward:
I think he means in comparison to butted mail. If the mail isn't riveted, you need a lot more steel to make the rings strong, so a lot of time it'll be made with 14 gauge wire. Boy does that get heavy. A hauberk can be over 40 pounds.

But yeah, the mail will of course be susceptible to rust after taking the grease off, but you can use something clear in color. Spray-on WD40 works, but it evaporates relatively quickly, so it's only good for a few weeks maybe. I've never re-sealed my voiders or fauld, and the only rust I have so far is on the ends of the voiders where it comes down near my wrists (and receives sweat more directly). The nice thing about mail is that when it moves, it scrapes some of the rust off on its own. When it accumulates a lot of it, you can throw it in a sack with sand, clean kitty-litter, or wood-chips, and slosh it around to scrape most of it off.

Sir Ulrich:
Good thing my gambeson is black then, wouldn't really matter if stuff got on it. Only issue is getting in and out of cars, I don't want to stain up my friends seats in the car >_>. Guess I'm gonna have to put it on and take it off when I am there. I actually keep all my stuff oiled and I yell at my friends if they touch my blades cause I don't want the oil coating to get smeared and cause my blades to rust. Bet I'm going to do the same once I get my armor. Oddly my helm is steel and hasn't rusted much at all apart from a few specks here and there.

Sir William:
I usually armor up after I've arrived...for just the same reason, Sir Ulrich.  And why does everyone want to touch the blade all the damn time?  Even after I said don't touch it, you got people who can't seem to hear.  lol

Sir Edward, I get it...having worn a butted hauberk before, 16 ga, I can agree that it is pretty heavy.  My current riveted one does not feel that much lighter tho.  I imagine if my butted had been 14 ga the difference would be more noticeable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version