Main > The Armoury

FS: Ice Flacon SS Chainmail Haubergeon

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir William:
Look @ Sir Edward showin off his gams!  lol

Wonder if I soak it in vinegar I'd lose the brightness?  You've seen my hauberk Sir Edward, what do you think?  I like your chausses and would go that route if I were going to stay in the 13th C but I think I'm going to make it into the 14th after all.  lol

Sir Wolf:
hey i just cut and pasted the thread.

an what is your mail? is it stainless or is it galvanized? vinegar and galv  is good, but not near you. as the zink becomes airborne and can kill you if not vented properly. just do it outside and do not inhale. then wash mail and put in a baking powder to neutralize the acid. i here merc acid mix with water works better than vinegar.

Sir William:
What's merc acid?  I think mine is stainless...but am not ultimately sure.  For all I know, it may just be galvanized steel - that's done for rustproofing right?

Sir James A:
Galvanized is to inhibit rust, but doesn't prevent it. Normally on roofing nails and such.

Galvanized steel is highly magnetic, and stainless steel, at least in the normal 300 series used for armor, is not, so that's an easy test if you have a magnet.

Also, be mildly careful with stainless steel - it CAN rust - it just takes a lot more for it to, well, rust, aka stain. Hence "stain less".

I'm not sure how to darken the finish, but my stainless steel IceFalcon voiders are dark, like Sir Edward's chausses - darker than my butter galvanized mail.

Sir Ulrich:
Seems like a fair price for something well made.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version