Main > The Armoury

FS: Ice Flacon SS Chainmail Haubergeon

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir Matthew:
I'm going to have to look into that. I don't like having shiney mail so this looks right up my alley. I have some stainless mail on my brig, he used it to protect the upper part of the arms. I think I may try Sir Wolfs method of dulling it. I was pretty hesitant to try anything for fear of ruining the mail or having a bad chemical reaction. Now that I have gotten over my fear of ruining the mail and know to just do it outside, I think I may give it a try. Everything on the brig looks period except that mail so time to get that looking right too.

Sir Rodney:
BEFORE going outside and stripping your mail (that sounds dirty), search for a thread on myArmoury that goes into detail and also highlights the dangers if you're not prepared.  I'll do some searching and post the link here soon, I just didn't want anyone getting hurt before then.

Sir Wolf:
a conversation w a friend a year ago about it

--- Quote ---Dillute a gallon of muriatic acid into 4 gallons of water in a bucket, making 5 gallons

Take one of those big boxes of baking soda and dump it into a second bucket full of water

Drop the maille into the bucket of acid water.  It will violently bubble and emit very noxious gasses which you NEED to avoid.  It will bubble violently and then settle down.  When it settles down, bring it out of the acid and drop it into the bucket of baking soda water.  This will explode all over the place.  It will settle down in a few seconds, then take the maille out and dry and oil.  That's it!

--- End quote ---

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM, <cdrussell1@comcast.net> wrote:

about how long should i leave it in each bucket? just till it stops bubbling? when is it ok for me to handle the mail with my hands? after the water/soda bucket? do i need to wash it in water after this step or just spray with WD40? sorry for the questions. just nervous i guess. do i need to stir the mail at any point in the buckets or just leave it alone

--- Quote ---After the baking soda the acid should be totally neutralized.  At that point it's safe to touch.  You shouldn't need to wash it with water after the neutralization, just dry it off and spray her down.  But do it quick because the steel is absolutely bare and will flash rust.

It should bubble for a couple minutes violently, and then die down but still bubble a little (it's eating the steel at this point).  And yeah, stir it once or twice while it's in the acid bath.  And stir once when you drop it in the baking soda bath. 

--- End quote ---

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2011-02-14, 02:12:55 ---a conversation w a friend a year ago about it

--- End quote ---

Just to clarify, that's for removing the zinc from the galvanized steel, right?

Sir Wolf:
yes, heehe sorry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version