Main > The Library

The Scarlet Lion - William the Marshal's later years

(1/2) > >>

Sir William:
Ok, so I read the first book, The Greatest Knight, also by Elizabeth Chadwick, and what I like about this book is that it takes what we know of in history and spins a tale that incorporates the fact with fiction written to suit the prose- but none of it comes off as hokey or contrived.  In fact, the book reads as well as any in the genre- Chadwick's grasp of all things medieval is what sets this book apart from some others; it is obvious she's done her research and her treatise on the Marshal does him justice, IMHO. 

Definitely worth reading, both books- since we are of The Order of the Marshal, why not?

Sir Brian:
Excellent reminder for me Sir William to put this book on hold...I've been meaning to read it several months ago!  ;)

Sir William:
I'm not yet through, but I don't anticipate anything earthshattering...Chadwick's style is perfect in bringing out the Marshal into flesh and sinew, very good read.  No one else has even addressed his years after Richard's death, other than the smattering of writings dealing with John's ascendancy to the throne and maybe shortly thereafter, but this one looks like it'll run the entire gamut.

Not historical, mind you, but historical fiction.  I like it.

Sir James A:
Looks like a good read. I just picked up both of them off Amazon, and since I was $5 short on the free super shipper saving, picked up "Arms and Armor: A Pictorial Archive from Nineteenth-Century Sources" to get me over that free shipping minimum.

My reading list is piling up quite quickly. :)

Sir William:
3 excellent choices, Sir James...they'll keep you enthralled for a while at the least!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version