Main > The Armoury

review of gambeson from Viking Leather

(1/5) > >>

Sir Wolf:
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127927&highlight=

Sir Edward:

Cool. I like how the shoulder/armpit looks in the photos, as it doesn't have the standard t-shirt sort of cut. It looks more like a real gambeson. I commented in the thread about the sleeve lengths. Apparently people have complained they're too long. Clearly they've never tried putting armor over it.

Sir Wolf:
ya.they really look like a good buy. i am very tempted... but i GOT to finish these other kits first before i really get into the 14thc swing of things

Das Bill:
That doesn't look too shabby, but something looks off about the shoulders. They don't look like they're cut right, making the taper towards the neck a bit weird. I suspect on some people it will fit fine, but on others it will fit funny.

Sir Brian:

I don’t know that design suspiciously looks a lot like the one from revival clothing which offers great padding but it is HOT as it does not breathe well and as Das Bill advised some time ago it is restrictive in the arms and shoulders.  :-\

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2009-03-05, 05:52:00 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2009-03-04, 23:03:00 ---Well I'm adding this new gambeson in a kelly green.
http://revival.us/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=83

--- End quote ---

Sir Brian,
Have you already purchased this yet, or are you still just thinking about it? If you haven't purchased it, I'm going to advise against it. It has a very weird cut to it, where only certain body shapes seem to fit it right. The sloping from the neck to the shoulders is weird, and the area around the armpits is very poorly shaped. For many people its restricting.

Further, they claim its a grand assiette design, but it isn't really a very good one. A proper one will allow you to lift your arms straight up without having the rest of the garment lift, which is very important under armour. This one doesn't quite allow it perfectly, though it isn't terrible in that respect, either.

I bought one last year, and hated it. I let a couple of other people try it on, who also did not like it, so I sent it back. In my opinion, unless if you're one of the lucky few whom this fits perfectly, I don't feel that this is worth the asking price.

On the other hand, I've seen a few people post on forums who've said that they happen to fit the gambeson well enough, so if you've already purchased it, then I hope you're one of those lucky few.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version