"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Castles near my home  (Read 4828 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Castles near my home
« on: 2010-11-11, 16:30:10 »
I just found out a few weeks ago there is not one, but two castles near my home!

Berkeley Springs Castle (Approx 1885-1891)
http://www.berkeleyspringscastle.org/

Berkeley Springs castle is not open to the public. I contacted the owner and there are 2 events where people can get access; Dec 5th the local historical society has a Yule Tea; tickets are $25 but the money goes towards supporting one of the local museums. Also, "This year for the first time, the Castle will be open from 2 to 5 on Sat, Dec 18, $10/ticket."

Dupont Castle (Still under construction, but a lot of the main 3 story keep is complete)
http://www.dupontcastle.com/

The owner is doing almost everything himself, even bought a backhoe and excavated too. He has the plans to the castle online, and he owns 70 acres of land! No worries about neighbors nearby building a modern looking house and spoiling the aura. ;)

I've also contacted the owner of Dupont Castle, who I actually spoke to around 12 years ago when he was just breaking ground. I ran across the site while looking for good castle spots in England/Scotland to visit, started looking through the pics and text of everything he has done, and noticed the gas company was one from a neighboring town. When I contacted him, I found out he's actually nearby (about an hour). I have not met him yet, but seems to be a very friendly guy. He also maintains a list of all the castles they have found in the US, grouped by state.

He also accepts help with the castle, and lists the names of everyone who:

Comes up and works for free for at least 4 hours gets mentioned as donating time to the project.  Anyone who donates at least $20 in cash or $50 in either new or used building materials gets mentioned on the webpage as being a contributor.

I enjoy working with my hands after sitting at a keyboard all week, so I may try to get out there and donate some time in 2011 when the weather is nicer. I thought it might be a good way to get our names and the name of the new Order a bit of publicity by going out there as a group to help out. I could try to contact the local news and see if they would be interested in doing a small article on it, though I don't know any of them so I can't make any promises; it's not every day you can write a story about some knights helping build a castle, hopefully they'd go for it.

It would be even neater if we took our kits with us, and let the media take photos of us "working" on the castle in kit. Of course, we wouldn't want to wear the kits while actually working (if we stay to do so in lieu of donating money/goods), but taking some pictures while in kit would add to the authenticity (and news story) ... and I bet Mr Dupont would get a kick out of it too.

If we plan to do it in 2011 (my 2010 weekends are booked due to holidays/birthdays), it'll be nicer weather, and give us some time to get the new Order set up, and make some general plans. He also allows drop-in visits to the castle, and I may try to get out there the weekend of the 11th or 18th to check it out just for fun; if anyone else is interested in going, I can contact him and see if he'll be available.

I think it could also be a good "gathering event" for the Order. I've never met the owner of either castle, nor do I have any affiliation with them, so people are welcome to contact and visit on their own. :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Castles near my home
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-11, 16:51:34 »
I would certainly come and work some weekend in 2011 when the weather is warmer. I have little building skill, but would be happy to contribute what I can. I also think this would be great to have as a background for a picture of all of us in kit.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-11, 16:53:26 »
i have been in the Berkley one a while ago. it's not that great beyond the front and fornt room

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-12, 15:54:59 »
I'm not what you'd call skilled labor, but my back's strong and I am not afraid of work.  I'd be good for this, if we can all come up with a hard date when all could attend, or as many of us as possible.  Representing our Order in such a charitable fashion would definitely fall in line with some, if not all of the virtues we all uphold.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-12, 19:07:27 »
Sir James,when are you thinking of crossing the pond ??
G
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-12, 20:11:16 »
Sir Gerard, no firm dates as of yet, my wife and I have a spreadsheet that we're adding places we want to visit to, then we are going to narrow down the travel based on what dates the places are open, if certain events are at a certain time, and also by what RCI has available for trade during that timeframe. The rough timeframe is somewhere between May and September. My wife has never been, and I've only gone once, back in '94.

I'll chat with the owner and see what he says, and if he has any preference for 2011 dates. I may try to go to the tea at Berkeley to meet the owner of Dupont Castle and chat with him. That way, if Berkeley is a bust, it won't be a completely lost trip.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ancelyn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Lux Lucet in Tenebris
    • Thoughts from Firethorn
« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-22, 19:21:16 »
I could go for this day-trip. Let me know if we can agree on a time. Right now mostly he is doing interior finish work, but the curtain wall, guest house, gatehouse and great hall all still need to be built. I can lug concrete blocks around with the best of them under direction.