Main > The Library

1066 the Year of the Conquest

(1/3) > >>

Sir Patrick:
I just finished reading 1066 the Year of the Conquest by David Howarth, and I can't say enough good things about this book.  As the title suggests, it tells the story of the year 1066, starting with the death of Edward the Confessor, and ending with the coronation of William the Conqueror.  Howarth has an easy, almost storytelling style, so you don't feel like you're being bogged down in a history book.  He gets down to the nuts and bolts of English and Norman society, superbly contrasting them and using them as a basis for understanding the mindsets of the major players.  The complex political kots behind the conquest are methodically untangled, light is shed on the myriad of technical obstacles both sides faced, and Norman propaganda in the aftermath is stripped away to provide a more balanced portrait of Harold (and ultimately William).  I can't reccommend this book enough for anyone intersted in this era, and at 207 pages, it's a quick read to boot!

http://www.amazon.com/1066-Year-Conquest-David-Howarth/dp/0140058508/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291945400&sr=1-2

Sir Wolf:
oh i did love that book too. it was a great read

Sir William:
Another to add to the collection!

Sir Brian:
Ditto!  :)

Sir Ancelyn:
It sounds familiar. I will have to ask Bill if this is the one he lent me before. So much for the wishes of the Wittenagemot where conquest is concerned I suppose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version