"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: ice falcon to have another sale  (Read 10948 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: ice falcon to have another sale
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-09, 21:54:49 »
Oh man, this rocks- thanks for sharing, Sir Wolf!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-09, 22:44:51 »
I'll keep this in mind, maybe I'll cancel my order and get the stainless mail instead. But is it really worth the extra 400 bucks...

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-10, 14:15:36 »

Yeah, he does all sorts of sales. Good to see there will be a whole bunch of sales coming soon. Who knows, maybe a hauberk is in my future (since GDFB does't have stainless with wedge rivets).
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-10, 16:24:01 »
You guys might hate me, but I've been seriously considering a welded ring hauberk.  If we subscribe to the 5 foot rule, I'll pass.  :)
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-10, 16:36:50 »

Nah, I don't hate it. :) It's just that for me, if I'm going to the expense of riveted stainless mail, I'm inclined to just pay more to make it slightly more accurate. That's a personal choice. I don't expect everyone to be as crazy and blow money like that. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-10, 16:41:21 »
Well, stainless is nice...as you know my current hauberk's stainless, but I'm too lazy to tailor it to fit me.  More than willing to pay someone else, though.  I like the idea of the welded mail because it would be built to my size specifications, there's all these measurements that must be taken while in garb where the mail will go over it.  Still, no price so I have no idea but I imagine it'll be expensive.

It has been my experience that if you pay for what you want up front, you'll spend less time switching this or that in the pursuit of gathering for the sake of it, like I have a tendency to do at times.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-10, 16:43:36 »
It has been my experience that if you pay for what you want up front, you'll spend less time switching this or that in the pursuit of gathering for the sake of it, like I have a tendency to do at times.

lol, no kidding. :) At the rate I'm going, all of my left-over armor will be able outfit a small band of mercenaries.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2010-11-10, 16:47:54 »
Exactly; I would've been able to fully outfit at least 3 other men-at-arms with the changes I've made to my kit over the years- several mail shirts of varying quality, various plate parts, and other assorted gear; I never thought to track such things which is weird since I use Excel to track auto maintenance on my cars.  Ah well, I'll start doing so now!

Not to mention weaponry...I just bought a sword that'll be my MDRF sword, at least for next season as it falls directly in line with my new jupon that I keep talking about but haven't shown yet.  lol
« Last Edit: 2010-11-10, 16:48:32 by Paladin »

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2010-11-10, 21:06:29 »

Yeah, he does all sorts of sales. Good to see there will be a whole bunch of sales coming soon. Who knows, maybe a hauberk is in my future (since GDFB does't have stainless with wedge rivets).
Curious to ask but how does Icefalcon mail look up close? Is it round riveted or wedge riveted?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2010-11-10, 21:21:27 »

Well, he has several types of mail available. I have his stainless riveted chausses, and up-close they look pretty good. The rivets are flattened, though some have a little slack in them and will catch on other mail. Even though they're stainless, they have a natural burnished look to them, so they look like mild steel. I can take a close-up photo later, but here's a photo of me wearing them:

http://ed.toton.org/photos/2010/weapons/i0171b.jpg
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2010-11-10, 22:02:24 »
I like that grey look as opposed to the bright mail like I have.  That is stainless, right?  So no worrying about bits of rust and having to keep a barrel of sand handy?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2010-11-10, 22:06:26 »
I like that grey look as opposed to the bright mail like I have.  That is stainless, right?  So no worrying about bits of rust and having to keep a barrel of sand handy?

Exactly. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2010-11-10, 22:09:29 »

Well, he has several types of mail available. I have his stainless riveted chausses, and up-close they look pretty good. The rivets are flattened, though some have a little slack in them and will catch on other mail. Even though they're stainless, they have a natural burnished look to them, so they look like mild steel. I can take a close-up photo later, but here's a photo of me wearing them:

http://ed.toton.org/photos/2010/weapons/i0171b.jpg

Looks nicer than I thought. Does the coating come off with age or does it stay? Either way it looks nice. Doesn't have the shiny luster that other stainless mail has.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2010-11-11, 00:41:16 »
I'm going to have to keep an eye on the Ice Falcon site myself. I've been looking at a riveted maille hauberk or haubergeon for a while for my Teutonic Knight and late 14th C gonner. Now that I have two gonnes, I guess I need to get moving on the armor for the earlier period. I have so much planned right now though, that I'm not sure if I can swing it.