Main > The Armoury

holy poop batman, KOA 2 for 1 deal

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir William:
I've handled two of the H/T swords thus far...the GSoW and the Bastard (unfullered) - in terms of handling, the Bastard's second to none.  It feels lively, and transitions are smooth and near-effortless.  Because of the blade geometry, there's more mass toward the hilt making for an excellent thruster with superior point control.  As such, it is not as good a cutter as say, the GSoW which is a behemoth.  These two swords are like knight and day; the GSoW is big (47" total length, 36" blade, 2" in blade width at the guard, fullered for most of the length of the blade, spatulate point) and exhibits a bit of blade flex, as it should since it is a dedicated cutter- preferably from on high.  With the reach, weighing in at just under 4lbs with a PoB some 5.5" out - the feeling of mass toward the point makes this thing slice with authority and has excellent reach.

The Bastard's specs make it seem similar to the GSoW but one couldn't be further from the truth.  At 42" OAL, 33" blade, only 1.5" thick, PoB 4" from the cross and weighing in at a scant 2lbs 6oz, this sword is the fastest I've ever handled for its size.  As I said, point control is spot-on, attack and recovery is non-taxing...the only bad thing about these H/T swords is the edge nearly always, always stinks.  They can sharpen the hell out of a katana but for some odd reason, Euro edges seem to stymie them. 

I've also owned the Hanwei versions of the singlehand and bastard swords and the H/T ones are head and shoulders above them, believe it or not.

Sir Ulrich:
Seems like a good deal, shame they ain't got one handed swords on sale. Otherwise I probably would of gotten this deal.

Sir Wolf:
i like the bastard versions! definitely on my list

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sergeant-at-Arms Conall on 2010-11-05, 00:23:57 ---Seems like a good deal, shame they ain't got one handed swords on sale. Otherwise I probably would of gotten this deal.

--- End quote ---

Really?  I would think the H/T EMSHS (early medieval singlehand sword) would be part of this sale, seeing as its H/T products...since I can't see the link I'm probably wrong.  Let me ask my vendor (SwordNation) - he'll know definitively.

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2010-11-05, 01:55:38 ---i like the bastard versions! definitely on my list

--- End quote ---

My favorite sword in my collection is my H/T Bastard in terms of handling...these are not the prettiest swords by far, more utilitarian, workman-like, than the collaborative efforts of Valiant Armory and Angus Trim (better aesthetics) but they are excellent swords in their own right, and more than up to the task they were made for.  At these prices you CANNOT go wrong!  Sheesh...I might have to take the plunge just for the hell of it...get the fullered version and a blunt to go with it.

Sir William:
Yea, he's running the same special so it must've originated with Hanwei...I'm still waiting for an answer as to why the singlehand sword isn't in the lineup here:  http://www.swordnation.com/Sword-Nation-Specials-s/12.htm

Keep you guys posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version