"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: SCA census  (Read 8687 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
SCA census
« on: 2010-09-23, 19:39:50 »
The SCA is conducting a census, and it's open to active members as well as those who are not. They want the opinion of folks who have left or are inactive, since they're considering changes and want a wide range of input to help make the SCA better. So if you have any thoughts of maybe joining someday if they fix some of the things you don't like about the society, now is your time to speak up.

http://www.sca.org/scacensus2010/

Even though I have a membership card, my membership is probably expiring, and I went ahead and filled it out as though I'm no longer a member (this makes sense, I've been to pennsic twice and attended one other event). I left comments about seeing a need for clearer paths to achievements and awards, the problem with having heavy combat be the only means to titles of nobility or knighthood, and the lack of actual historical combat arts now that they're becoming available.

« Last Edit: 2010-09-23, 19:42:33 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: SCA census
« Reply #1 on: 2010-09-23, 20:13:36 »
Definitely will look into this...I think it is a good thing that they've taken the initiative to find out for themselves what everyone else thinks...still wish I'd kept that particularly nasty string from my first contact with them...just one person in particular, what a B.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2010-09-23, 21:24:40 »
i have no love for the empire. nor do i hate it hehehe.

i think if there was one closer i would join but not be apart of all the gossip blah that goes on with it.

Dragonlover

« Reply #3 on: 2010-09-23, 23:46:07 »
They've been supposedly taking this initiative for years now... I think they are finally starting to realize that people have taken it upon themselves to do their own research and they're starting to find their numbers falling due to people who want to learn the true ways for themselves....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2010-09-27, 15:52:47 »
Think I'll have time to do this today.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-14, 20:03:04 »

Interesting discussion on the Armour Archive that was spawned out of the SCA census:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=120903

They're discussing ideas about inter-kingdom awards that are below the "peerage" levels (they use the term "peerage" for nobility, royalty, and the orders of knights, laurels (arts and sciences), and pelicans (general service), though historically I believe it was meant just for nobility).

It seems like the existing structure, and some of the hard and fast traditions and beliefs within the SCA will make it unlikely that they'll ever expand the system of knighthood to include other martial activities than just the "heavy" rattan armored combat. This is unfortunate. I know at least one kingdom is experimenting with steel combat, for instance, which I hope has a greater chance of following historical sword arts. Their "light" combat (rapier) is discussed a lot in the thread, in regards to the White Scarf award. But of course, within the SCA culture, light combat is looked down upon in a way. Not specifically in a derogatory manner, but more like the red-headed stepchild to the heavy martial activities. It's like the chess club in a school where football is all anyone talks about. :)

I think the SCA has a lot to offer and there's a lot I like about what I see, but there are aspects that I find disappointing that are unlikely to change due to heavily ingrained traditions and structures.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2010-10-16, 14:46:00 »
I think the SCA has a lot to offer and there's a lot I like about what I see, but there are aspects that I find disappointing that are unlikely to change due to heavily ingrained traditions and structures.

This sums up my experience and thoughts on it very well. My biggest issue is with the heavy combat being the core of everything, the 'authenticity nazis' who will not only flip if you have stainless steel armor, but if you have cotton instead of linen, etc. There are some who enjoy playing but have limited time and/or resources into period materials, but still try to make a reasonable attempt at period appearance. Owning a few harnesses, I don't have the time (or squire) to fend off rust from all of them, so stainless is a blessing.

The other big thing is the actual combat. It's just, bad. I was at a class led by John Clements, and he called it "stick tag", and I couldn't help but laugh and frown at the same time. How often do we see wraps in period combat? It's almost everrry SCA fight. And they all walk around with their sword slung back over there shoulder, parallel to the ground. I did one year of heavy combat, and it just wasn't fun. I had more fun watching people move about in armor than I did the actual combat portion.

I'm glad they're making an effort, but it's something I've heard they are trying to do over the last decade, and it's still more of the same. I couldn't even stand being on a local kingdom SCA mailing list because it turned into a political pissing contest in less than a month of membership. :(
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2010-10-26, 15:41:51 »
I would love a live steel group locally...I say that now, before the bruises and broken bones.  lol

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2010-10-26, 16:17:01 »
I would love a live steel group locally...I say that now, before the bruises and broken bones.  lol

Bruises, yes. Broken bones, not so often if it's done right. :) Injuries still happen of course.

At VAF we practice with steel quite a lot, though we only spar with it occasionally. So far the worst I've had is some knuckle hits that were sore for a couple of days to a couple of weeks, and my blue thumb-nail (subungual hematoma) at WMAW last year. Not too bad all things considered.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2010-10-26, 19:40:22 »
How many of you train at VAF?  I think knowing you guys are there would set the much-needed fire under my arse to get movin in that direction.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2010-10-26, 19:50:03 »
Bill would probably be able to answer better than I can about the number of students, but I'd say on any given week we might have half a dozen students show up to the advanced class. There are more signed up, and of course there's the beginner and intermediate levels, and this is just for longsword. There's the rapier classes too.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2010-10-26, 20:05:19 »
I'll be signing up for historical broadsword then as that's what I'm interested in.  I need to go to the beginner's class though as I'm a basic newbie when it comes to actually wielding a sword.  I'm excited...been wanting to do it for quite some time.

When I asked about students, I meant the knights from Modern Chivalry, or is it just you?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2010-10-26, 20:25:24 »

Oh yeah, I'm the only student from VAF that posts regularly here. Sword Chick and Das Bill are instructors.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #13 on: 2010-10-26, 20:49:53 »
i've never gotten hurt or broken at a live steel event :) its so much fun!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2010-10-26, 22:12:33 »
Sir Wolf, tell us more about them...like, when's the next event?