Main > The Armoury

Putting together a kit - completed

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir Brian:
Ah where to begin? – I know! How about the beginning? :D

The pictures of Sir Edward and I which he linked to was in fact the day I debuted my kit. It was also approximately the first year anniversary for my wife and me attending a renaissance faire for the very first time. – We got the renfaire bug really bad the previous 2006 year of the faire.

It was after the 2006 MDRF had ended that I started knocking around ideas about wearing armor. I had purchased my butted brass plated hauberk around Thanksgiving of 2006 and in late January of 2007 I had commissioned a local seamstress to make my original surcoat.

From January ’07 until around March ’07 I had purchased and painted my shield and found a helm I liked (the one I now wear with my Teutonic knight kit). By the spring of ’07 I was nearly ready to start wearing my kit but still needed some decent legs. During the spring and summer of 2007 my wife and I began visiting other renfaires from Florida to Ohio and the whole time I was checking out all the available armor vendors and accumulating all the minute but important detail items – The right colored ostrich feather plumes, white belt, spurs, etc. At the GLMF in Ohio in July ’07 I finally settled for my first set of leather cuisse and poleyns that I liked and at which point I felt my kit was ready for the public.

As the 2007 faire season came to a close and since I got such a great response at MDRF and PARF that year, my wife and I decided to check out CRF and met my friends John and Ritchie who is typically on cast there.
Both of these fine knights were a great inspiration and source of information for me and I realized that I needed a lot more work on my kit.
During the winter of 2007/2008 I worked on revamping my kit and narrowing down the timeline of my harness. Since I greatly admired Sir Edwards great helm I decided to purchase my own and look into dressing it up with the whole crest, mantle and torse in addition to adding some plate pieces. The start of the 2008 renfaire season I debuted my improved kit at the NCRF and that is when my wife and I was truly blessed to meet Sir Andrew and his Lady Constance for the very first time.

The fantastic response to my improved kit during 2008 season at GARF, VARF, GLMF, PARF, MDRF and CRF was simply amazing for which I am most appreciative, however my kit was nearly developed as far as it could go. I did add the splinted cuisses for the 2009 season which seemed to be the perfect finishing touch to that version of my harness and where it stands to this day.

At the end of this season I hope to debut portions of my improved kit at CRF.
 ;)

Sir William:
What a journey, eh?  Seems we've all had ours in pretty much the same way- trial by error, fire, etc.  By the by, Sir Brian, your friend in the black harness looks TOTALLY FREAKIN AWESOME!!!  What a nice blend of fantasy and historicity- I guess the helm is what's gotten me, vicious!  Thanks for sharing guys; I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's bitten by this bug or has made what can sometimes be an arduous trek- especially when you want something and can't have it right yet because of issues relating to funding.  Nicer way to say I'm broke at those times but hey, it is what it is, right?

Sir Brian:
Ah yes John’s armor…I hope you are sitting down for this next revelation good sir because John MADE all of his armor including that helm which I believe he sold for $1500.00 later that year (spot me here on this if you please Sir Andrew ;) )

He made a dragon helm about two years ago that is even better! :D

Sir William:
Holy Expletive Batman!!!  There's no real expression I could use that would be appropriate in terms of sheer admiration so I'll just say that guy rocks like there's no tomorrow.  Does he have a website?  That harness would definitely be killer...on me.  I'd be the Black Knight for real!  ;)

Sir Wolf:
i wish! most of my stuff is in tubs or on bookshelves in the backs of closets. i have 3 small children (wow i can officially say 3 now) so any and all room goto them. but my next house will have a daddy only room. i have one now but its my shop and thats the only thing thats off limits hehehe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version