"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Doing what's right despite a disability  (Read 5316 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Doing what's right despite a disability
« on: 2010-11-19, 14:25:24 »

Man in wheelchair stops a robber:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMyjVpag8os[/youtube]
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Doing what's right despite a disability
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-19, 16:54:45 »
Giving succour to a damsel in distress, that is indeed a knightly act.  This could be interesting...is it me or did it look like his legs were moving independently of the struggle, like he could move them partially?  Look at 1:05 to 1:11 in the video.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-19, 16:55:07 by Paladin »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-20, 22:40:54 »
That was great. If only more people were willing to stand up for what's right and get involved that way. Despite the wheelchair, he has a pretty good choke hold and takedown move.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-21, 12:50:03 »
y did the other guys just look at him? and whats with the other guy(different attack) have a case brought against him for holding a attacker? Canada's weird

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-22, 17:01:17 »
Spectators...they think its a reality show unfolding in front of them.  They spectate at life, instead of living it...and they see nothing wrong with that.  Those I categorize as Sheeple...not real people.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-22, 19:25:13 »
y did the other guys just look at him? and whats with the other guy(different attack) have a case brought against him for holding a attacker? Canada's weird

If it was here, I'm willing to be there would be charges filed. They even say in the video that police aren't filing charges ... but just the potential that you can step in to protect someone without use of lethal force and STILL be charged ... unconscionable. And the guy that is being charged with holding a thief until police arrive? That's a whole other story.

It's like the 10 (I think) year old kid who tried to help a 3 year old kid find their parents in a store. The mother of the lost child didn't press charges, the store didn't press charges; the local police department had the audacity to charge the kid who was helping. The store even had the entire event on camera, which showed no intent whatsoever of kidnapping or false imprisonment; it was (and is) pure nonsense.

I'm not sure if the ironic dig at him was intentional in the story, but when they said a man in a wheelchair standing up for what's right, it struck me as either poor writing/editing, or poor taste.

Giving succour to a damsel in distress, that is indeed a knightly act.  This could be interesting...is it me or did it look like his legs were moving independently of the struggle, like he could move them partially?  Look at 1:05 to 1:11 in the video.

Yes, it does. I've seen people who have nerve damage and can't move their lower legs (knee and below), but can still move them at the hip. Since they can't move at the knee, they can't keep them straight to support their own weight, and are in a wheelchair. I don't see him moving at the knees, only his hips, and not by much. They mentioned ATV incident, which could very well be severe knee damage but not have affected his spine. (not a doctor's opinion, just based on what I've seen/read before, fwiw).

That guy definitely deserves recognition, and shows not only bravery, but humility as well.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-22, 20:32:09 »
Agreed...and thanks for that, I didn't know.  Mind you, I wasn't attempting to call this man a fraud, just noticed something so I asked.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-24, 06:06:06 »
Agreed...and thanks for that, I didn't know.  Mind you, I wasn't attempting to call this man a fraud, just noticed something so I asked.

I didn't read it as implying fraud, I'm just happy to supply answers for unanswered questions when I do have an answer. Things would get boring quickly with lots of unanswered questions. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent