Main > The Library

Book Reports: Erec and Enide

(1/4) > >>

Sir Wolf:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erec_and_Enide
Finished the story today, the first of Chrétien de Troyes' five Arthurian romance poems. I wish now I would have had a copy of the book that was larger with larger print, ug my eyes bleed!

There were many things I noticed in this story.

Whenever nature was used it was capitalized. as in "Nature gave her beauty" etc etc. 
Knights could fight all day and evening.
Men had to remove their full helmets and still wore ventails over their mouths.
there is an outer bone over the brain ;)
Knights don't greet one another, they have to joust first and ask questions later.
There is no mention of Camelot just Cardigan (which is a Welsh town),
Arthur has a son Llacheu who is a member of the round table,
There are tons and tons of Kings, Counts, Barons and Knights. One wonders what each of them do or is their job
Even then women talk a lot ;)
If a knight was beaten he kept his oath and would travel armed and would be expected to do what his victor had told him to do.
There are mentions of Giants and Dwarves.
A royal camp can be moved several miles down the road during a conversation.
100 to 500 times someone was commended unto God.
They ate no meat on Saturday. Just fish etc.
One wonders if a white stag was an albino deer. Is it the same thing as a hart? And if you get him you get to kiss the bestest lady!!
Chretien starts to tell about the bedroom of the lovers but then stops! Guess he doesn't want a dirt n smut book.
Shields sound like they were kite shields with center bosses on them. but this is odd cause they are not depicted in effigies or manuscripts with great helms.
armour was worn everyday no mater what the condition or its condition.

any more thoughts?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2010-08-08, 22:17:18 ---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erec_and_Enide
Whenever nature was used it was capitalized. as in "Nature gave her beauty" etc etc. 
Men had to remove their full helmets and still wore ventails over their mouths.
there is an outer bone over the brain ;)

--- End quote ---

I think some of it is artifacts of the translation. My copy doesn't capitalize "nature", but it does translate it to that word. I suspect it was a form of the word that is meant to imply God rather than just mother nature. In my copy, it also doesn't mention ventails but rather "chin straps". I wonder if there was a single word for both, or there was some ambiguity in the original? Also, my copy mentions the cut sheering off some bone without reaching the brain, rather than there being more than one layer of it.

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2010-08-08, 22:17:18 ---There are tons and tons of Kings, Counts, Barons and Knights. One wonders what each of them do or is their job

--- End quote ---

I also noticed that the author seems to have an issue with counts, since they're often the villains. :)

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2010-08-08, 22:17:18 ---There are mentions of Giants and Dwarves.

--- End quote ---

I think this just means midgets and very large people. It does note that the giants ride fairly normal horses.

Sir Edward:
I finished reading this one, and will soon be on to Cliges. But Erec and Enide was quite amusing in a lot of ways. I got a huge kick out of it. The narrator's little comments were quite amusing, and I was often shaking my head at the "perfect" knightly behavior that involved knights charging at each other and only realizing they were friends after getting unhorsed. And of course, Erec's testing of Enide by refusing to let her speak (as well as her lack of adherence to that) was... uhm... amusing. :)

Sir Wolf:
ya that was funny. i can hear him now "dont talk to me woman!" hehehehe i wonder if he was trying to stay focused or just testing to see if she would listen or what.

Sir Edward:
Yeah, it's not entirely clear. I mean, if he really was that upset that he didn't want her to speak to him (and he did at one point say he loathed her), then talk about a drama-queen. Total over-reaction. But if he was testing her loyalty, that her desire to keep him safe was more important than her obedience, then it's a little more understandable. But still... the whole "shut up, woman" thing is not quite the courtly love I was expecting. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version