Main > The Armoury

Ed's Mid 14th C. kit

<< < (44/46) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-10-24, 14:43:13 ---He does a really nice job in the shaping, and includes that double/sliding knuckle-bow. His price is really good for mild-steel, but I paid the extra to have it done in stainless so I don't have to clean so much rust off of them. I may do future components in spring-steel, but gaunts are a paint to de-rust.

--- End quote ---

You'd be surprised how little they rust if they had a good polish to begin with and you keep them clean.  After 3 days of DoK and about 100 kids handling and trying on my gauntlets, there was a speck of rust on one of the index finger tips, and it came right off.

Sir Wolf:
nice, whatcha doing with the old ones?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-10-24, 14:50:24 ---You'd be surprised how little they rust if they had a good polish to begin with and you keep them clean.  After 3 days of DoK and about 100 kids handling and trying on my gauntlets, there was a speck of rust on one of the index finger tips, and it came right off.

--- End quote ---

The bolded part is the problem. You see, I know myself all too well. :)

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2013-10-24, 14:51:26 ---nice, whatcha doing with the old ones?

--- End quote ---

Oh, I'll still use them for HEMA (in conjunction with the new Darkwood gaunts I picked up). They're beaten all to hell, but still working.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2013-10-24, 15:00:12 ---The bolded part is the problem. You see, I know myself all too well. :)

--- End quote ---

My 'keeping them clean' regimen is wipe off the dirt after 3 days of use, oil them, and sit them on a shelf until I use them again.  It's pretty minimalist :)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-10-24, 15:05:18 ---My 'keeping them clean' regimen is wipe off the dirt after 3 days of use, oil them, and sit them on a shelf until I use them again.  It's pretty minimalist :)

--- End quote ---

That sounds great, but trust me, I'd find a way to ruin them. :)

Also, my new house has a lot more humidity. I'm finding that things rust faster here than at my previous condo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version