Main > The Armoury

Research help for info on 14th cen helm.

(1/2) > >>

Thorsteinn:
So that nasty flu going about has made my brain no go. I'm looking at this helm and flat forgetting where it is from and when. I am starting to fall a bit in love with it. Can anyone helm me? Got any other thoughts on it?

It's a form of klappavisor bacinet and the smith is Jiri Klepac. Here's the pic.

Jon Blair:
IIRC, it's a German style helmet last quarter of the 14th century.

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Jon Blair on 2017-01-16, 19:18:26 ---IIRC, it's a German style helmet last quarter of the 14th century.

--- End quote ---

I second that thought.   :)

Ian:
That particular visor is a copy of the visor in the Museo Stibbert in Florence Italy.  I tend to associate that narrow shaped visor on a klappvisor style bascinet with Italian artwork of the turn of the 14th/15th century but I admittedly haven't really looked elsewhere for them.

Detail from a Fresco in Palazzo Trinci, 1410

Sir Nate:
I have a question for you Ian. With this style of bascinet, would knights carry the visor on their side while wearing a great helm, or would they simply not wear a greathelm at all and only have the bascinet with visor. Or would some knights not enter the battlefield at all on horseback and choose to only wear the klapvisor if entering the field on foot. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version