"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Improving my faire kit  (Read 21244 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Improving my faire kit
« Reply #15 on: 2009-06-02, 11:40:23 »
well go teh hauberk sleeves sewn up. now I notice I don't like the arm pit in the right side.. sigh. also realized I need to add about 2 solid inches to the wrist line (WILL IT EVER END)  so glad I didn't tailor a riveted hauberk, what a pain in the back

on a good note I found my old deerskin black gauntlets in case I don't get the mittens done by faire.
My shield is on its way according to UPS and the wife said I could order my black and grey linen next pay check :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2009-06-02, 13:16:30 »

Awesome. :) Yeah, the mail never ends, or so it seems. And then, one day you're done, and it's magnificent. :)

Believe it or not, my aluminum hauberk still isn't done. I started that in 2000!!!! At least it was wearable in time for your wedding back then, but I really do need to sit down and finish it out. I need a few more inches at the bottom, and I need to add some triangular expansions on the sides at the bottom so it doesn't pull the split apart in the middle so much, and rim the splits and bottom edge in steel... then I think I'll finally be done.

I already rimmed the neck opening in steel a few years ago, which has gone a long way it keeping it in one piece.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #17 on: 2009-06-02, 21:08:09 »
woah thats awesome Sir Brian! my humble thank yous would not even be enough for such a gift.

thanks for the surcoat thoughts.  the 5.3 weight is what I usually use for all of my linen needs. I was thinking of using the Surger around the edges and seams since linen has that fun way of unraveling hehehe.

my helmet dates from 1275 to 1300 AD so thats the range I think I may shoot for. so I think I really need to get moving on finishing the sleeves/mittens for my hauberk and then putting mail on my legs.... who wants to have a mail making party? hehehehe.

I also need to make a decent heater.  I just hope I can get that bloody curve right at the bottom.

the more I look at brass rubbing's the more it looks like the waist belt is really small (could be a rope belt even) and the sword belt is wide.... guess I gotta make one of those too.  any issues with the cut down, epoxied blades at the MDRF yet?

You are quite welcome to the spurs. Just drop me a personal message with your shipping address and
I'll get them in the mail for you. Good choice on the shield! I regretfully cannot offer you the the same
as I did for Sir Ed and get it painted for you because I have not had the access to the same resources
as I did then, nor does it look like I will anytime soon.   :(

As for a goat crest you could go with just the goat horns (then you'd be horny as a goat!)  :D
All puns aside that is a plausible alternative to representing a charge, i.e. having just a portion of the
charge represented.

As for the stencils you may have to go the way of Sir Ed and fabricate your own. His turned out most
magnificently!

As near as I can tell with MDRF and the cut and epoxied blades...they are still allowed. The security
may closely scrutinize you but I've found that they consider my and Ed's harnesses to be so fetching
that they loath to despoil the affect they have by denying us the whole ensemble.  ;)

WOWOWOWOW Sir Brian these spurs are great. that and I can't believe that the post office says they shipped on the 1st and here today is the 2nd and I have them. these will make a great asset to my kit!  I don't drink but I'll buy you a beer/ale/mead etc at faire my friend!

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #18 on: 2009-06-02, 23:46:57 »
took a break on my hauberk to work on some chausses. i found some galv riveted mail that I am gonna sew up wit some butted links and then de galv once their together. heres to hoping it turns out ok

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2009-06-03, 02:29:22 »
While all you guys are working on armor, this off season I have been concentrating on the accessories.  I have some finishing touches to put on a costume "sword" made of a wooden scabbard I am covering in leather to look real and a pommel with an approximately 2 inch aluminum blade that will be epoxied into the "scabbard".  This will look very much like a broad sword.  I sewed a Snapsack, which is essentially a period version of a dufflebag and is what soldiers used to carry their personal belongings in up even until the American Civil War.  And I am now going to attempt to make a set of bone dice from instructions I have found from another reenactors page.  He is a Roman era reenactor, but from what I have found bone dice changed very little from antiquity until the rennaissance.  I'm finding that the more I am at Faire, it is the smaller, more mundane things that make a person's persona "real".
« Last Edit: 2009-06-03, 02:39:36 by madmanpsu »

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #20 on: 2009-06-03, 03:44:22 »
hey thats cool.  I have several kit accessories for different time periods.  I'm just trying to get this current time line (late 13th C.) off the ground to at least look the part finally. My problem is my track record with the faire is usually only 1 day a year here lately.... (at least its once, I missed several years) and with that being I'm watching out for a Kindergardener so my focus is never on what I could look like rather than what she's doing hehehe.  Maybe this year I can drag the wife and the young lad out to faire as well so I can relaxxxxxxxxxx. (NOT!!!)

hmmmm whens PA? I seem to remember they had paved trails, would make it easier on a stroller hehe

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2009-06-03, 14:16:13 »

PARF runs during MDRF, just with the schedule shifted one week earlier (usually). It's a nice faire, just a bit more of a drive. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #22 on: 2009-06-03, 20:56:40 »
http://www.thecompaignyestore.com/html/coin_replicas.html you guys need to get some of these. i was looking at getting some of the Edward I pennys since they were from 1275-1300 era like my kit

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2009-06-03, 21:25:18 »
Mostly I've been concentrating on accessories because I simply can't afford the armor for my next kit, Tuetonic Knight circa. 1320-1350.  Most of what I have been working on I can get or make cheap.  Besides this, I have been trying to develope a deeper persona that would appear more real to faire goers.  This is especially true since I am at PaRF almost every weekend and am often found in mixed company of actors and playtrons.  I really enjoy the interaction with curious mundane faire goers and hope that by more acurately portraying a character from that period I can spark a deeper interest in Faire for them.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #25 on: 2009-06-04, 01:31:36 »

Awesome. Can't wait to see the shield painted up!
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #26 on: 2009-06-04, 16:24:29 »
what do u think of these leeds on goats for my helm?

5" tall and 6" long

http://cgi.ebay.com/Goat-Collectible_W0QQitemZ250434850526QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDecorative_Collectibles?hash=item3a4f148ede&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50   

10" long and 10.5" tall

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fur-Goat-Figurine_W0QQitemZ170338435165QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a8f6405d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

8.5" tall x 9” long

http://cgi.ebay.com/Furry-Animal-Figurine-goats-NANNY-GOAT-FARM-WHITE_W0QQitemZ350209299352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518a19d398&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50

8.5" tall and 9" long

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dairy-GOAT-PLUSH-FURRY-FARM-ANIMAL-REPLICA-FIGURINE-wht_W0QQitemZ140324898324QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ac040614&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A3|294%3A50

what are teh sizes of your devices? any of these strike your facny to look the best on a helmet?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #27 on: 2009-06-04, 17:53:12 »

The first one looks more crest-like in a way, but it's also heavy, according to the description. The others are quite furry! I wonder if you could dye the fur to the color you want. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #28 on: 2009-06-04, 18:28:37 »

The first one looks more crest-like in a way, but it's also heavy, according to the description. The others are quite furry! I wonder if you could dye the fur to the color you want. :)

I asked them about weight so we'll see.  what do your crests weight in about?  And if its metal I'm sure I can paint it

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #29 on: 2009-06-04, 18:32:30 »

The dragon was 2 pounds maybe. I never weighed it. The leather one is crazy light. A few ounces at most.
Sir Ed T. Toton III