Main > The Armoury

Arming Garments?

(1/3) > >>

Sir_Edward_ReBrook:
Do you gentlemen know of any manufacturers of custom tailored arming garments? My gambeson is enormous, but perhaps I could have it altered. Also, is there a good vendor for the chausses support rig that Sir Ian shows in his video?

Thank you for your help.

Sir Edward:
Revival Clothing has some arming garments, but they're not custom. Their sizing is a little inconsistent, in that you might where a large for one garment, and a small for another. Their arming cotte works pretty well. However you would probably need to both move and reinforce the arming points. I wear a Medium for this garment, so you might need a small since you're thinner.

Their vest-like "pourpoint" is less historical but very functional. I often use both together since the pourpoint is tougher and I have an easier time tightening it around the waist.

Historic Enterprises also has an arming doublet, but I don't have first-hand experience with that one.

If Jessica hadn't closed her business, I'd have pointed you to Fuhlen Designs, since she did full custom work and had a clear understanding of how the garments are supposed to work, since she also fights in them.

I'm not aware of anyone selling the lendeniers directly. I would love to see those catch on though.

Ian:
All my arming garments were self-made.  Ed is correct that no vendor currently offers a quilted arming girdle for leg suspension.

If you're still looking to do that 1250 Westminster Psalter, you don't want any of the Revival Clothing or Historic Enterprises garments, they're very much inappropriate for your time period.  For a late 15th century harness through, you probably can't beat the Historic Enterprises doublet without going to a custom tailor who makes you a garment from scratch.

If you're looking for something with a more authentic look for 1250 you're interested in a quilted gambeson similar to this or this, with light to medium padding.  When it comes to thickness, the thicker you go, the more the garment is a stand-alone padded armor less than it is a supplemental arming garment for a layer of mail over it.  It will also become less mobile as you go thicker.  So for wear under mail I wouldn't go too crazy on thickness or you'll end up like the stay puft marshmallow man.

There are several Polish companies that make nicer gambesons than the off-the-rack stuff you can find in the US.

Matul's
SPES  Medieval Market
Kokosh' Manufacture

Several of them also offer customization options like padding thickness or hand-quilting options.

Sir James A:
There is the option of buying a revival pourpoint and cutting it down to make a lendenier. I've seen it done. :)

Sir Edward:

It's true, the ones I mention are based on much later designs, as Ian pointed out. They're for later plate kits and I was forgetting that you're targeting the psalter image. Sadly there isn't a whole lot out there for the 13th century and earlier, as an "off the rack" option around here.

I solved that for my kit by getting something fully custom via Fuhlen Designs (hence why I would have suggested that if she were still in business). The buttons aren't exactly period, but we favored function over accuracy for this:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version