Main > The Armoury

new member, new harness

<< < (2/8) > >>

Ian:

--- Quote from: westcoastgio on 2015-09-10, 05:25:56 ---trying to localize it to a region is kinda tough. the ideas in my head are too infused with hollywoodism. My only known European ancestry is Scottish, which to my knowledge copied British styles.

--- End quote ---

This is a guide I wrote for people interested in making historical kits.  Although it may not all be applicable to your goals, the part on localization and the resources in there might help you get started.

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,3207.0.html

This video playlist may also help give you some ideas on historically based harness and components (I'm not done with the whole series yet, but most of it is there now)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLllw4zFP7rK_FvP5_XhbxaHL6Mozats7Q

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2015-09-10, 13:04:20 ---
--- Quote from: westcoastgio on 2015-09-10, 05:25:56 ---trying to localize it to a region is kinda tough. the ideas in my head are too infused with hollywoodism. My only known European ancestry is Scottish, which to my knowledge copied British styles.

--- End quote ---

This is a guide I wrote for people interested in making historical kits.  Although it may not all be applicable to your goals, the part on localization and the resources in there might help you get started.

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,3207.0.html

This video playlist may also help give you some ideas on historically based harness and components (I'm not done with the whole series yet, but most of it is there now)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLllw4zFP7rK_FvP5_XhbxaHL6Mozats7Q

--- End quote ---

If historical authenticity is something you're after, both of those links are excellent resources with which to start as well as guide you through the process.  I am following them myself- well, the first link; the second I've not done more than glance at- but if Sir Ian is endorsing it, it must be solid.

westcoastgio:
Sir Ian's video series is actually how I found this site, his videos expounding the advantages of the pourpoint design etc. is why I commissioned the Arming cotte I am waiting on.

I know that I really prefer the more plate less mail eras

Ian:

--- Quote from: westcoastgio on 2015-09-10, 17:40:52 ---Sir Ian's video series is actually how I found this site, his videos expounding the advantages of the pourpoint design etc. is why I commissioned the Arming cotte I am waiting on.

I know that I really prefer the more plate less mail eras

--- End quote ---

Oh cool! 

As far as the historical authenticity thing goes, don't get too hung up on it if it's not your interest.  If you want to blend fantasy and history, or blend time periods, or whatever, go for it.  The important thing to keep in mind though, is that the real historical stuff was designed the way it was because it worked.  So while you can certainly style armor to be more fantastic than historical, some of the underlying concepts I've discussed in those videos, like the way it should fit, and where the weight should be supported, how the armor should interact with the garments and the other armor components, etc still applies to any armor you want to feel comfortable and function, historical or fantasy.

westcoastgio:
well, when it comes to my interest, I want to fight in armor and I am not too picky what organization I do it with. when I was much younger I wore second hand plastic armor and did a bit of fighting with the SCA. I was no good, and probably more dangerous to myself than others but had fun. now that I am much older, and my metabolism has slowed, I am looking for some kind of activity that appeals to me that actually involves burning calories.

As a know-it-all nerd, I am very interested in the idea of Living History (as I understand it.) However to my knowledge there are no LH groups in central California.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I have a hard time looking at the period painting and effigies and translating what that kind of armor would really look like. so I ordered a few Osprey books off ebay to start my research, now that my research materials have started trickling in, I am narrowing things down.

I really like the Armet/close helm look, and I am going to start picking up pieces in line with that broad era. if anyone has suggestions on where to research to narrow that down even further, I would greatly appreciate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version