Main > The Armoury

Scabbard for an Albion Poitiers for wear with a Plaque Belt

(1/10) > >>

Ian:
Any of you in the DoK group may have seen this already but I will duplicate here for posterity :)

This is a scabbard done for my Albion Poitiers in the style of the late 14th century and early 15th century.  The wood core and sewn leather wrapping were done by Ron Johnson.  The brass work and enamel work were done by Jeffrey Hildebrandt at Royal Oak Armoury.

I didn't photograph it because it's still drying, but I made a quick tooled leather strap with a brass buckle that will pass through the staple on the back of the throat locket.  This will wrap around the plaque belt to allow the sword to hang vertically as shown in the effigies.

Oh and don't tell anyone but I used a little trick to darken the scabbard leather and give it a more worn look... (black shoe polish, shhhhh).  Although waxes were used to protect leather since the dawn of tanning leather so I don't feel bad :)

scott2978:
Very nice! That Hildebrandt is one talented fellow. I had no idea he took that kind of work. Thanks for posting this Sir Ian.

Sir James A:
Awesome!!

Sir Patrick:
 8)  8)

Sir William:
Wow; the Poitiers by itself is always eye candy, but the plaque belt and scabbard really set it off.  I am not sure I'd even want to stand next to Sir Ian at this point.  The divide between well-off knight and poor soldier-knight couldn't be better personified than if we were to stand side by side.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version