Main > The Armoury

Scabbard for an Albion Poitiers for wear with a Plaque Belt

<< < (2/10) > >>

Sir Edward:

Holy crap, that turned out nice! Fantastic!

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-09-30, 17:27:23 ---Wow; the Poitiers by itself is always eye candy, but the plaque belt and scabbard really set it off.  I am not sure I'd even want to stand next to Sir Ian at this point.  The divide between well-off knight and poor soldier-knight couldn't be better personified than if we were to stand side by side.  :)

--- End quote ---

Sadly, in the living history world, my kit is more that of a gentle-born indentured squire or household retainer.  Unless you want to start investing in real gold adornment and fine silk brocades then knight is out of grasp.  One of the biggest offending reenactorisms that we're almost all guilty of is assuming the mantle of a knight but wearing the armor and clothing of someone of much lower station.  I simply can't afford to do a 14th century knight correctly.  It is cost prohibitive.  The 'poor' knight (outside the Holy Orders, and even then I suspect a lot of them were very well off, and perhaps some other unique circumstances) is a bit of a myth.  But until we're all rich in real life, portraying the knightly class accurately is not easily done.  Trying to portray the 1% of the Middle Ages without having the capital to do so may be an exercise in futility.

We always point out that distinction to patrons as well.  One of the best ways to illustrate the difference between a bum like me and a knight is to look at our gauntlets.  Here are my gauntlets with their fancy brass decoration which looks pretty nice when viewed in isolation.  Now compare them to Sir Geoffrey's gauntlets, washed in 24k gold.  Now who's the knight and who's the bum?  ;)

Mine

Tom's

Sir Brian:
That is truly a magnificent scabbard to go with an exceptionally fine blade. :)

Sir Wolf:
we all really hate you secretly.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-09-30, 22:54:34 ---we all really hate you secretly.

--- End quote ---

Oh, I never thought it was a secret.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version