Main > The Armoury

All Best Stuff mail

<< < (2/5) > >>

scott2978:
If one of you guys who owns some of this could post a full critical review that would be great. Plus some pics of the whole item and a couple close up shots of the rings would too. That would help people decide if this is the right stuff for them when shopping cause that's what we always want to know.

Sir Ulrich:
I've handled and worn this maille before. I tried Elliot's hauberk on and it's heavier than the stuff I got, he has the round riveted with alternating flat punched rings. All of the punched rings face the same way and it looks to be higher quality than the wedge riveted. Honestly I would trust the maille to stop a sharpened weapon, unlike the icefalcon or GDFB stuff which seems a bit too flattened. I had a sample of it but I seem to of lost it...

Henrik Granlid:
A review would be great, I just noticed the blackened ABS Round riveted w flat punched myself and it's actually on an affordable budget. Of course I'm imagining shipping to Sweden to be insane, but it will still be cheaper than any riveted mail I can get in Sweden.

Now, I currently have a blackened, flattened and riveted aventail on my helmet. Would people suggest I get a blackened hauberk to go with it or should I get a non-blackened hauberk and replace the aventail to match?

Frater deTyr:
One of my people, Kyle Timms by name, ordered custom-made hauberk with attached coif and ventail, as well as mailled chausses with feet.  He specifically requested certain measurements (even going so far as to give the measurements in both Standard and Metric).  There were some delays, but the maille arrived last week (in plenty of time for DoK).  Now, for the bad news:

* The ventail is of the 11th century style (attached the the chest and tied like a bib.  It is too long and insufficiently wide enough to cover the face.
* With the ventail tied up, it is impossible for Kyle to turn his head from left to right, or to raise his head.
* The sleeves are way too long---he can't put his hands into the mittens without help.
* The chausses were a long, straight tube (rather than tapering), making them too baggy
Kyle has since had his chausses tailored to fit correctly by Ryan Andrew McDaniles of "The Saxons' Pocket".  Once Kyle returns from DoK, he'll have the hauberk adjusted by Ryan as well.  This is not a negative review of Nitin of All Best Stuff or his quality---just a heads-up regarding what issue may arise from ordering maille long-distance.

[/font][/size][/b]

scott2978:

--- Quote from: Henrik Granlid on 2014-09-27, 11:05:43 ---A review would be great, I just noticed the blackened ABS Round riveted w flat punched myself and it's actually on an affordable budget. Of course I'm imagining shipping to Sweden to be insane, but it will still be cheaper than any riveted mail I can get in Sweden.

Now, I currently have a blackened, flattened and riveted aventail on my helmet. Would people suggest I get a blackened hauberk to go with it or should I get a non-blackened hauberk and replace the aventail to match?

--- End quote ---

Blackened maille is historical. It was done by baking the iron with linseed oil or some such thing to inhibit (but not prevent) rust. But after a lot of wear, the black mostly comes off leaving it a nice gunmetal grey color.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version