Main > The Armoury

Huge swords - the Montante

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2014-09-09, 07:29:11 ---The zweihanders were primarily used against pike formations to cut off the pike heads.

--- End quote ---

^ Yep, primarily this.

They were also capable of large crowd control against primarily unarmored foes. Dr Mondschein did a great job on this book about them and their use: http://www.amazon.com/The-Two-Handed-Sword-Mondschein-Ph-D/dp/0978902289/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410298389&sr=8-1&keywords=ken+mondschein+sword

I read it a couple years ago when it first came out, and really need to read it again.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-09-09, 21:35:58 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2014-09-09, 07:29:11 ---The zweihanders were primarily used against pike formations to cut off the pike heads.

--- End quote ---

^ Yep, primarily this.

They were also capable of large crowd control against primarily unarmored foes. Dr Mondschein did a great job on this book about them and their use: http://www.amazon.com/The-Two-Handed-Sword-Mondschein-Ph-D/dp/0978902289/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410298389&sr=8-1&keywords=ken+mondschein+sword

I read it a couple years ago when it first came out, and really need to read it again.

--- End quote ---

Completely off beat from what I thought.
Hmm, how were they used in tournaments?

Sir Edward:

Montante and Spadone swords (often in the 5-footish range) have a lot of techniques around them that are designed to be fluid, and keep the sword in motion without fighting against its momentum. They're for crowd control and that sort of thing.

Paulus von Zurich:
Don't discount the physiological fear it would create.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Paulus von Zurich on 2014-09-09, 16:45:21 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-09-09, 13:29:42 ---Overcompensating, maybe?  lol
--- End quote ---

Admit it, you like them too!

--- End quote ---

Yea, but I don't want one, per se.  For some reason, I'm seeing really large guys wielding those big swords- even at 6-8 lbs, its heavier than I'd like.  But then, I also don't know the techniques in using them so that's part of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version