Main > The Courtyard

Szymon Chlebowski Feder

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Martyn on 2014-07-01, 02:05:32 ---I really can't see why you'd ever need/want to hit that hard with steel - seems excessive.

--- End quote ---

Quickest way to kill or dispatch your opponent is to hit them hard; if they're still standing, then you hit them again.  Harder.  ;)

All kidding aside, the art of the sword is about killing- stands to reason someone somewhere is going to try and come as close to that idea w/out actually stepping over the line and doing it.

scott2978:
You guys have all heard of BOTN right? Like a modern day version of early medieval tournaments.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: scott2978 on 2014-07-02, 22:32:52 ---You guys have all heard of BOTN right? Like a modern day version of early medieval tournaments.

--- End quote ---

Yep, and you'll probably find several varying opinions of it here too. :)

However, this style of "feder" is intended for doing Blossfechten, or unarmored combat. And for that, you don't need a whole lot of power. In fact, excessive power can be detrimental, in terms of over-committing to attacks, tiring yourself out, and telegraphing your moves.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-07-03, 12:53:38 ---
--- Quote from: scott2978 on 2014-07-02, 22:32:52 ---You guys have all heard of BOTN right? Like a modern day version of early medieval tournaments.

--- End quote ---

Yep, and you'll probably find several varying opinions of it here too. :)

However, this style of "feder" is intended for doing Blossfechten, or unarmored combat. And for that, you don't need a whole lot of power. In fact, excessive power can be detrimental, in terms of over-committing to attacks, tiring yourself out, and telegraphing your moves.
--- End quote ---

aka a "Buffalo"  ;)

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-07-03, 12:53:38 --- In fact, excessive power can be detrimental, in terms of over-committing to attacks, tiring yourself out, and telegraphing your moves.

--- End quote ---

My 2c: What's excessive for one, is fine for another. I was accused of being a buffalo in a HEMA class because I hit harder than almost anyone else was comfortable with. The leader told me that he could easily counter me because my power was obviously being a buffalo and therefore would be handled by the counter-buffel moves. He was wrong.

We have a new guy in our SCA group who could give Duke Uther of the West a run for his money. He hit really hard before he learned technique. Now he hits really hard all day long.

If you train to do light power all the time, then if someone comes at you like a hurricane of control & power you stand a good chance of being his lunch.

One mans "9" is another mans "5".

PS Don't forget that Aveloc Twiceborn, who's 5'9", defeated, and rocked the world of, his Belgian 6'11" opponent at IMCF. Even after the giant picked him up and tossed him in frustration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version