"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Historical Robin Hood kit  (Read 16830 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: Historical Robin Hood kit
« Reply #30 on: 2014-06-29, 04:43:06 »
Check out Grey Goose Bows.

Cameron Christian-Weir is a local guy who is very active in the SCA scene and teaches longbow making classes at many MN / WI events.  He’s a straight shooter (pun intended) and a hell of a great guy.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #31 on: 2014-06-29, 04:47:49 »
yew is the best, then is it white ash? do NOT get red oak, its open pours will tend to break. yew is actually bad for eastern us climate. too humid will make the bow warp and lose it's shape.

while not in use de-string your bow.

no arrow rests or leather hand guards should be on your bow. horn tips on for certain time frames.

Sir Wolf is correct. However, if you laminate the yew with a lacquer, it keeps the moisture out of it due to climatic conditions that cause the warping.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #32 on: 2014-07-04, 19:38:27 »
I am waiting on the bow until I find one affordable one thats laminated possibly hand made as well. My friend has a few bow crafters he knows so I am gonna check out his stuff too. I actually just ordered an english knight's tunic so I can play him as his "saxon noble" self as well though it's cotton not linen it's something I wanted for a while. I plan to have 2 parts for this kit the "saxon noble" part and the "outlaw" part.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2014-07-04, 20:04:48 »
I am waiting on the bow until I find one affordable one thats laminated possibly hand made as well. My friend has a few bow crafters he knows so I am gonna check out his stuff too. I actually just ordered an english knight's tunic so I can play him as his "saxon noble" self as well though it's cotton not linen it's something I wanted for a while. I plan to have 2 parts for this kit the "saxon noble" part and the "outlaw" part.

Grey Goose Bows will have a shop at Pennsic.  You should make a day trip to PA and pick up a nice yew longbow! :)  And pick me one up too!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #34 on: 2014-07-04, 23:28:15 »
oh sure, pay the 80-150 buck entrance fee for a bow lol. think i'd pay the 25 dollar shipping lol

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2014-07-07, 19:19:05 »

Grey Goose Bows will have a shop at Pennsic.  You should make a day trip to PA and pick up a nice yew longbow! :)  And pick me one up too!

You should get you a yew longbow, you know!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #36 on: 2014-07-08, 03:00:44 »
Ewes use yews, you should use yews, too!
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #37 on: 2014-07-08, 03:08:22 »

Enough with the puns!! Stop it now or I'll poke your ewes out. I will charge you with yewsery.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #38 on: 2014-07-08, 13:50:15 »

"No more rhymes now, I mean it!"

"Anybody want a peanut?"

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )