Main > The Armoury

Safety in armored combat - a note on helmets

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir James A:
Posted to ArmourArchive and MyArmoury, feel free to post to other sites if you think it may be of use

edit: Sir Jason, I'm going to fix the dents then retire that helmet from combat. For the new one, the plan is a solid riveted visor that can't even be removed. Less historical in function (but fine in appearance), but I kinda like my nose. I realize I'm rather attached to it.... (rimshot)

Sir Wolf:
youch bro. sorry you got hurt.

i remember when we were fighting with spears. slow motion sorta training even. one friend push his round ended spear at another guys breastplate and it hit good, just reflected upwards and went right to his eye. long story short he's ok, but man it was quick and unforeseen..... literally

Sir Nate:
I would make monty python joke, but I am wondering a few things on helmet safety, With helm's for my century's I often find if not fitted right the face of the helm will sometimes lie on my nose, And I realize this could make it easy for someone to smash my helmet into my nose and brake it. How can I prevent that with my type of helm?
Also, who broke your nose?
btw, "Ive had worse!!"

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2014-06-04, 02:09:37 ---I would make monty python joke, but I am wondering a few things on helmet safety, With helm's for my century's I often find if not fitted right the face of the helm will sometimes lie on my nose, And I realize this could make it easy for someone to smash my helmet into my nose and brake it. How can I prevent that with my type of helm?

--- End quote ---

Probably not the answer you want, but, one you need to hear. If your nose is that close in the helmet, it's unsafe. You need a different helmet for any serious combat. I have a couple inches of space in front of my nose in that helmet, and none on the sides or rear (padding is maybe 1" thick all around except at face).

--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2014-06-04, 02:09:37 ---Also, who broke your nose?
btw, "Ive had worse!!"

--- End quote ---

My nephew Chris is the one I was fighting with. It was his first day on the field too. Complete strangers or great friends doesn't make bones any stronger or weaker. It can happen to anybody on any day.

Thorsteinn:
Well at least you have a story with many lessons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version