Main > The Armoury

Want to make a Shield

(1/4) > >>

Sir Nate:
For a project to do, I want to make a norman kite shield this summer. I have been looking around the internet but there is not much info on how to make one. I think it would be ok to use for my 12th century kit, But I may be wrong.
Would a Norman kite shield be good for 12th century? and if so what should I buy and how should I go about making it?
If it is not good for 12th century, What type of shield is and how can I make that as well?

Sir Douglas:
The How-to: http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_shield.asp

I'm pretty sure kites were used all throughout the 12th Century, though I think a lot of later-century kites didn't have the central boss and/or were cut straight along the top instead of being rounded.

Sir Patrick:
+1 on Gaffers site. Made several over the years with that press and all turned out well.

Thorsteinn:
I've made a lot of shields over the years. What's your budget? How historic do you want to get? Purpose of the shield?

Mike W.:
For the most historically accurate shield, you will want to use lindenwood/lime wood planks that are glued together, preferably a period glue (cheese glue is very easy to make and a very strong wood glue). The rounded shape is made by how the planks are joined, rather than the whole shield being pressed or steamed. Also, you would want to cover it in leather and edge it with rawhide. However, this can get rather pricey. Gaffer's shields are a great option if you're on a budget. Covering the shield with canvas is an inexpensive alternative to leather and you can usually get a canvas painters' tarp at a harware store for cheap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version