Main > The Armoury

Albion Ritter

<< < (6/6)

Sir Humphrey:
Dyeing cloth in black was very expensive.  It required the combination of many colors to come out with a deep black.  That is why it tended to be limited to the more afluent clergy members.

Black leather dye, on the other hand, is just iron filings disolved in white vinegar.

Sir James A:
I vaguely recall the fabric dyes color being related to status, but in that the wealthy had their fabrics dyed first, and got a nice, deep color. As financial status went down, your fabric might be dyed in a third, fourth, fifth "run" from that dye bath... and so on. Each run of dye made the dye less potent, leaving the subdued / faded colors.

Sir Ulrich:
I'd say black leather was probably more common than black clothing. I saw many examples of black leather on the Maciejowski bible which I would think too many reenactors actually discourage it's use and I agree with Sir Ian on it probably being more common than most reenactors give it credit for. Though I think the black would be more of a super dark brown and not as "pure" as modern black dye.

Sir Humphrey:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2014-04-28, 21:40:27 ---I'dThough I think the black would be more of a super dark brown and not as "pure" as modern black dye.
--- End quote ---

Sir Ulrich, the period black dye I have made will turn good vegetable tanned leather as black as tar.  If it is kept oiled it will retain its blackness for a long time.  As it drys, or is exposed to the elements, it will begin to lighten to a deep chocolate brown.  The dye is the color or dark beer, and works on a chemical process on dry veg tanned leather to turn it black.  There is no pigment in the dye.  If the leather is dirty, or has been contaminated with geasy fingers, the dye does not "take" as well.

Sir Humphery

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version