Main > The Armoury

Getting Into My Basics

<< < (4/9) > >>

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-03-20, 13:03:47 ---I got the wool hose. I made myself a pair of linen hose, but they don't stretch very well and they wear down quickly at the heel. Good luck with yours. It's not as easy as it seams,... I mean seems.

--- End quote ---

Well, I got to start somewhere right :)

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-03-20, 13:10:49 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-03-20, 03:58:40 ---
--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-03-20, 01:59:02 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-03-20, 00:55:25 ---If you don't mind the ahistorical vibram sole they can attach for you at Viking Leathercrafts, they won't slip.  My viking leathercraft shoes have the rubber sole on them for that express purpose.

--- End quote ---

Yep, what Sir Ian said. Vibram sole was $10 extra, or lugged sole for $25.

--- End quote ---

Honest question, what's the difference between the vibram and the lugged? Personally, I want a shoe that is historical. Because I plan to have spurs.

--- End quote ---

I had Vibram soles on a set of shoes I ordered from Revival Clothing a while back, and they did slip, just not as much as their plain leather soles. But it still required some caution. The lugged soles are the ones that will grip the ground like a modern shoe.

The difference is that the Vibram sole is a completely flat sole, with texture to give it some traction. It's synthetic, but from a distance won't stand out as being all that different from a flat piece of leather.

The "lugged" sole is a modern boot sole, complete with treads.

--- End quote ---

Any good recommendations on places to get good late 13th century shoes or boots? Also how good are the Viking leather craft ones with the Vibram soles?

Sir Ulrich:
Go for the viking leathercraft shoes, get it with the Vibram or Lugged sole. The hard slippery leather sole is not period anyway so you might as well save yourself the hassle and have shoes that dont slip. I use lugged 12th century shoes myself because the 13th and 14th century ones are too pointed for my wide feet. Lugged soles also help with chausses lacing as you can put the laces between the lugs so they're less likely to wear out.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2014-03-21, 06:44:36 ---Go for the viking leathercraft shoes, get it with the Vibram or Lugged sole. The hard slippery leather sole is not period anyway so you might as well save yourself the hassle and have shoes that dont slip. I use lugged 12th century shoes myself because the 13th and 14th century ones are too pointed for my wide feet. Lugged soles also help with chausses lacing as you can put the laces between the lugs so they're less likely to wear out.

--- End quote ---

Are the vibram soft and capable of accommodating the lacing from chausses and the spurs?

Sir Wolf:
shouldn't be an issue

Aiden of Oreland:
I have wide, flat feet and Ulrich recommends the 12 century pair. How does the buckled 13/14 century shoes fit? How true to shoe size are they? I may have to re-measure my feet.

I have a question that's a bit off topic. I'm getting Mille with integrated mittens and I plan to sow a leather mitten on too it. Should I buy a gambeson that also has an integrated mittens? To pad my hands underneath?

EDIT: It turns out that my package I believe has arrived at my other house on Friday! Hopefully I'll have it tonight or Tuesday. So it only took a week to get it(Sorry Baron). I'll post pics of me in my... Um... Underwear... I sure hope it fits!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version