Main > The Armoury

A suggestion for custom plate armor

<< < (2/6) > >>

Don Jorge:
Do you use Altocast or the premium stuff?

P.S. This is awesome...I am lucky that the armorer I think I am going to use lives 45 min away (Tom Justus/Eldrid Treymange)

Don Jorge:

--- Quote from: wilburnicus on 2014-02-21, 14:37:32 ---I'm afraid to ask... what are the going rates for custom suits?

--- End quote ---

Depends on what century you are looking at and how authetic...also what material...most spring steel 14th century harnesses would cost between 4k-10k and that is because they dont have fluting etc...

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-02-21, 14:24:11 ---That's really cool...anyone interested in acquiring a fitted custom plate harness should be going this route if they can't get to the armorer themselves.  Using bubble wrap to mimic your gambeson was excellent- I wondered how'd you deal with approximating undergarments and such.  Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

--- End quote ---

Agreed, the bubble wrap is a great idea. What I did with mine was wrap a couple extra layers of gauze to simulate the padding thickness, so my overall cast was "leg + padding", rather than putting the bubble wrap on top. Which means I wasted some gauze. Luckily I did the same 24 rolls for $12 online purchase!

Pic from my Book of Faces, when I did casts for my greaves last year:

scott2978:
Wilburnicus: The 3 biggest factors are:

* How historical your armor will be
* What metal it will be made from
* which armorer you chooseThose three things include a lot of design, style, history, time and money choices though. How historical you want to be will limit all your other choices. I'd say if you want to do a mid-13th century very historical impression, all the plate pieces (couter, rerebrace, vambrace, half-greave, poleyn, sabatons, bascinet, great helm and gauntlets) done in mild steel without a lot of decorative extras, custom made to fit you, could be done for around $3,000.  If you wanted it in spring steel then $4,000. If you wanted the same with full fancy detail, then maybe $8,000. If you wanted to move into the 14th century, the more plate, the more decoration, the more money. A fully historical mid-late 14th century harness (which can really only be mild steel) you'd be looking at starting at $8,000 for the most austere harness, up to around $30,000 or more for all the trimmings like brass accents around all the parts, hot oil blueing and hammer raised pieces. Every single part of a fully historical and fully blinged-out harness is an amazing work of art all by itself. A harness at the pinnacle of modern armor reproductions sold at auction in Germany in 2006 with a starting bid of 30,000 Euros. The final price was secret but it wouldn't surprise me if it broke a hundred thousand dollars. Of course that's the pinnacle, far beyond us mere mortals, but it does help us to keep some humility about our own efforts to look the part.

Scott

scott2978:
Belemrys: I've tried both and prefer to use the cheaper Altocast. It works just as well and costs less.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version