Main > The Armoury

A suggestion for custom plate armor

<< < (5/6) > >>

scott2978:
So! It's you that Jeff is working on sabatons for! I've been following the discussion about sabaton heel plates and spurs over on AA. Looks from your pic that he's going with a hinged heel plate and rivet articulated lames. I looked at a lot of effigies and brasses trying to determine if they had heel plates and on most it's impossible to be certain. They look smooth like steel but don't have any visible hinge, edge, or buckle. Also they tend to depict the spur covering the intersection of the greave and sabaton heel so there is no marking to determine anything. It does make me wonder about the spurs though because extant spurs don't show any indication of attachment points either.  Not that lack of evidence should be considered evidence in itself, but I find it curious. Very curious.

Will Jeff be putting the hinge inside or outside? He said he saw one extant example from the period that had the hinge on the inside but didn't post any pics. It seems it would be uncomfortable unless you use integral hinges or put it on the outside. After March I have to send my sabs back to get re-strapped, I might get a heel plate if Hildebrandt can work an integral hinge into it, but that would mean new spurs as well... decisions, decisions.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: scott2978 on 2014-02-25, 19:37:52 ---So! It's you that Jeff is working on sabatons for! I've been following the discussion about sabaton heel plates and spurs over on AA. Looks from your pic that he's going with a hinged heel plate and rivet articulated lames. I looked at a lot of effigies and brasses trying to determine if they had heel plates and on most it's impossible to be certain. They look smooth like steel but don't have any visible hinge, edge, or buckle. Also they tend to depict the spur covering the intersection of the greave and sabaton heel so there is no marking to determine anything. It does make me wonder about the spurs though because extant spurs don't show any indication of attachment points either.  Not that lack of evidence should be considered evidence in itself, but I find it curious. Very curious.

Will Jeff be putting the hinge inside or outside? He said he saw one extant example from the period that had the hinge on the inside but didn't post any pics. It seems it would be uncomfortable unless you use integral hinges or put it on the outside. After March I have to send my sabs back to get re-strapped, I might get a heel plate if Hildebrandt can work an integral hinge into it, but that would mean new spurs as well... decisions, decisions.

--- End quote ---

Hinged on the outside. I can see the holes for it.

Ian:
Yes, I believe they will be hinged on the outside.  They will secure using a pin with a toggle to lock them closed.  I didn't realize there was a discussion on the AA about them, I will have to check that out!

scott2978:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-02-25, 21:09:20 ---
--- Quote from: scott2978 on 2014-02-25, 19:37:52 ---So! It's you that Jeff is working on sabatons for! I've been following the discussion about sabaton heel plates and spurs over on AA. Looks from your pic that he's going with a hinged heel plate and rivet articulated lames. I looked at a lot of effigies and brasses trying to determine if they had heel plates and on most it's impossible to be certain. They look smooth like steel but don't have any visible hinge, edge, or buckle. Also they tend to depict the spur covering the intersection of the greave and sabaton heel so there is no marking to determine anything. It does make me wonder about the spurs though because extant spurs don't show any indication of attachment points either.  Not that lack of evidence should be considered evidence in itself, but I find it curious. Very curious.

--- End quote ---

Hinged on the outside. I can see the holes for it.

--- End quote ---
Yes, it might be that the holes are countersunk for flush rivets on the outside, kinda hard to see. It's intruiging that Jeff would mention a historical pair with the hinges on the inside, I've never even imagined doing it like that.

Sir James A:
Hmm... I meant hinged on the "outside" meaning the hinge on the outside of the foot, rather than the hinge on the outside of the steel (vs inset). I'm not sure if the hinge will be inset or outset.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version