Main > The Armoury

13th and 14th c. Kits

<< < (7/20) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-02-23, 05:06:30 ---
--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-02-23, 04:52:50 ---Custom is usually cheaper - if you do it yourself

Custom is usually more expensive - if you commission it from someone else

Very important distinction :)

If you want to make a gambeson / arming garment, you can buy a pattern for it for about $25 (Charles de Blois Pourpoint).

Surcoats are pretty easy - I'd wager there are some patterns floating around.

--- End quote ---

This is what i was given when discussing my heraldic design. The only thing I don't know how to do is put in an inside liner that is going to be green. http://cottesimple.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/draft_and_sew_a_surcotte.pdf

I almost forgot!! Im going to need a good, double wrapped, belt for my kit! I know by-the-sword has one that is pretty nice. I am planning to by Iron cross pewters for it. I want this because my heraldry has 3 Iron crosses on a chief. This is the belt: http://www.by-the-sword.com/p-5646-double-wrapped-sword-belt-200208.aspx

--- End quote ---

Use that pattern, the lady who wrote it is very good.

For an inside green liner, you just make "two" surcoats. Green is inside, other color outside. You're lining it, so instead of sewing 2 pieces together at the sides, you're sewing 4. It's just like two pieces of paper over top of each other.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-02-23, 18:54:56 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-02-23, 05:06:30 ---
--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-02-23, 04:52:50 ---Custom is usually cheaper - if you do it yourself

Custom is usually more expensive - if you commission it from someone else

Very important distinction :)

If you want to make a gambeson / arming garment, you can buy a pattern for it for about $25 (Charles de Blois Pourpoint).

Surcoats are pretty easy - I'd wager there are some patterns floating around.

--- End quote ---

This is what i was given when discussing my heraldic design. The only thing I don't know how to do is put in an inside liner that is going to be green. http://cottesimple.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/draft_and_sew_a_surcotte.pdf

I almost forgot!! Im going to need a good, double wrapped, belt for my kit! I know by-the-sword has one that is pretty nice. I am planning to by Iron cross pewters for it. I want this because my heraldry has 3 Iron crosses on a chief. This is the belt: http://www.by-the-sword.com/p-5646-double-wrapped-sword-belt-200208.aspx

--- End quote ---

Use that pattern, the lady who wrote it is very good.

For an inside green liner, you just make "two" surcoats. Green is inside, other color outside. You're lining it, so instead of sewing 2 pieces together at the sides, you're sewing 4. It's just like two pieces of paper over top of each other.

--- End quote ---

Gotchya, and how would you suggest I do the designs on the surcoat. It will most likely have three white formee crosses on a green chief, and under that will be a green chevron. Should I add them after I complete my surcoat? Also would you suggest that I use heavy linen on the outside and a softer one on the inside for my maille. From the 2 surcoats my brother has perchased this seemed to be the case.

scott2978:
If you want some help sewing period garments and have $35 to spend, get yourself a copy of The Medieval Tailor's Assistant. It gives you a ton of patterns and instructions on creating common medieval garments for kits from 1200 through 1500. It's very useful.

What year and country is your kit, and how historical are you trying to be?

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: scott2978 on 2014-02-23, 23:01:30 ---If you want some help sewing period garments and have $35 to spend, get yourself a copy of The Medieval Tailor's Assistant. It gives you a ton of patterns and instructions on creating common medieval garments for kits from 1200 through 1500. It's very useful.

What year and country is your kit, and how historical are you trying to be?

--- End quote ---

Medieval Tailors you say? I'll check that out. Late c. 13th Germany.  I do want to be as historicaly accurate as possible.

In was looking at some flared Poleyns for my kit from windrose armory and they look pretty nice. They are also stainless steel which is a bonus because I never really have time to clean armor with high maintenance. I was also thinking of getting the matching elbows. Do Do you think I need cuisses for them? Also got me thinking that if I want to really go far and beyond with this kit i could get an early, simple, coat of plates which would be nice. As for the helmet, im set on that royal oak dargen helm. i cant find a finer helm on the market for a late 13th c. But im going to have to crack open the piggy bank after a few years for that. Oh! And prick spurs to complement my kit! I think this kit is going to end up being a $2000 dollar investment!(including helm). Not to bad. Just going to have to get an albion squire line sword. Have this kit for maybe 3-5 years then move onto my late 14th c. SCA kit.

Mike W.:
I found this doing a quick google search...

*** Web Link Removed due to potential copyright infringement *** - Sir Brian

If you don't mind reading off a computer screen, it should help a lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version