Main > The Armoury

Norman Maille - 1066

<< < (4/5) > >>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: wilburnicus on 2014-02-11, 03:22:49 ---Historian J. R. Planche argued in 1847 that it was a "square pectoral" used for an extra layer of protection.

--- End quote ---

I'd be cautious of that, as the Victorian era is responsible for a plethora of armor destruction and inaccurate "knowledge".

Looking at the first pic you posted again, I enlarged it, and I'm wondering if he has a leather neck liner as in the ones that I posted, supplemented by the "varangian bra" that Thorsteinn posted. It would look essentially square from certain angles. Any other pics showing the square on the chest area? I'm quite curious now.

Mike W.:
They appear here and there throughout the tapestry, but I haven't seen any similar depiction in any other contemporary source.

Sir Wolf:
i have come to believe that the square is fully leather backed and is attached to the hauberk. i believe this to be an added layer of chest protection that could be taken off. my reasoning is that the normans rode in warfare and "jousted" on horseback. before this it is known that men road to war on horses but got off to fight. this square would give the wearer an added chest protection from the spear point in practice and Durand war against someone else whom they though would fight on horseback

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-02-11, 04:31:06 ---
--- Quote from: wilburnicus on 2014-02-11, 03:22:49 ---Historian J. R. Planche argued in 1847 that it was a "square pectoral" used for an extra layer of protection.

--- End quote ---

I'd be cautious of that, as the Victorian era is responsible for a plethora of armor destruction and inaccurate "knowledge".

--- End quote ---

Dang Victorians! We can't trust anything they said, without researching it again from scratch. Even the things they got right can't be trusted. ;)

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-02-11, 12:36:07 ---i have come to believe that the square is fully leather backed and is attached to the hauberk. i believe this to be an added layer of chest protection that could be taken off. my reasoning is that the normans rode in warfare and "jousted" on horseback. before this it is known that men road to war on horses but got off to fight. this square would give the wearer an added chest protection from the spear point in practice and Durand war against someone else whom they though would fight on horseback

--- End quote ---

concur

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version