Main > The Armoury

Question about voiders

(1/2) > >>

Sir Patrick:
Are voiders sewn or laced on?  If they are sewn on, how did they wash the arming garment they were attached to?

Ian:
No one knows for certain.  But for washing, even if they're sewed on, it would not be hard to remove them.  Labor was cheap in the middle ages, and a simple running stitch with waxed linen thread would be a minimal time commitment for a garment that's washed very seldom.

Sir Wolf:
i know some that are sewn on. i know some that are laced on. I even know some that have a lace thru the edge of the mail and then that lace has a stitch running around it. Me? Mine are still sitting in a box after I cleaned them... I never have gotten to put them on.  Course I never have washed my arming jacket either lol

Sir Patrick:
That explains how you get that authentic "Medieval" smell that wows them at the re-enactments!

Sir Rodney:
I'm not sure how historically accurate my method is.  I have a leather string laced through the outer edge of the mail.  This lacing stays with the mail permanently.  I then point the voider to my arming coat through an end mail ring AND the lace.  This method makes it easy to remove the voiders for an annual gambeson wash and offers nice stability during combat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version