Main > The Armoury

Ed's c.1250-1300 kit(s)

<< < (8/56) > >>

Sir Brian:
Your crest, mantle and torse were superb sir! You did a magnificent
job on putting it together and under the added duress of a tight timeline!

I like this picture because we look like some knights on campaign
...or a knight of the round belly in my case...REALLY its the armor all
bunched up and not a beer gut!  :D

Sir Edward:

Thank you, sir! Yours looks magnificent, as always as well!

Hah, yes the armor tends to be very unflattering in places. I've noticed that. It tends to exaggerate one's gut. I keep lamenting that in most of my photos as well. :)

Sir Wolf:
hahahah reminds me of the time a buddy tried on my rivetted shirt for the first time.he's a big guy and the day was almost night. by the time i took the picture it looked like he had MAN BOOBS hehehehe he of course edited them out once the picture got on the computer hehehe

Sir Griff:
I like Ser Brian's heraldic shield rather more than Edward's unfinished one. The crest on Brian's great helm is also somewhat more realistic than the Dragon on Edward's helm. In my opinion at least, the design of the dragon is a bit too modern. I think Ed's whole kit will look great when it's finished, however.

Sir Edward:

I'm wonder if I should keep calling this my "13th Century" kit. I think the spaulders and crest are pretty firmly moving me into the 14th. Perhaps I should just call it my "-700 years kit", and declare it to be 1308 (for this year anyway). :)

On a whim, seeing as the weather cooperated and I otherwise ended up with the day free, I decided to head back down to VARF for the closing day. A couple of things came to light.

1)  As per what Brian and I had been discussing before, I pre-soaked the garments under the mail. How wonderful this is! It helped keep me cool all day. Your sweat replenishes it, and you get cooled very well whenever there's a breeze. I poured a bottle of water into the linen and mail before entering the faire, and it was still wet and cool at the end of the day.

2) My mail chausses... I need to seriously rethink how I've designed these. This was only the 3rd day I've taken them out, and they're failing. A hole about 1"x2" opened up over one of the knees, just from walking. And of course, as I was walking over to the final costume contest, one of them popped loose from my waist (the steel links failed). So without tools, I took my belts apart, and used my teeth to close the links, and got it to hold for the rest of the day. It's looking to me like I may need to make the whole thing out of steel, possibly, but more importantly I need to design them correctly and attach them to a leather thigh-covering, which in turn would be pointed at the waist or hips. I shouldn't be trying to reinvent the wheel. :)

Speaking of the costume contest, all "returning champions" won. They gave us all season passes for next year. Apparently they couldn't choose this time either.

Here are some pics of my armor from today. If you click to zoom on the first one, you can see the hole near the knee. Additional pics (of Kat) are also on my faire pics page for this year: http://ed.toton.org/cgi-bin/gallery.pl?year=2008&gallery=faire

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version