Main > The Armoury

Ed's c.1250-1300 kit(s)

<< < (9/56) > >>

Sword Chick:
Looking good, Ed!  ;)

Kat looks positively beautiful!

Sir Wolf:
awsome. might try one of those diamond shapes placed over the knee around to allow for more room like we were talking about in tailoring mail.

Sir Brian:
I don’t know, you still have the ailettes you can substitute for the spaulders and comfortably be
right back into the later 13th century…but yeah the crest would have to go in that case as they were
definitely in the 14th century era, still it’s always great to have versatility!

Yeah pre-soaking your undergarments is defiantly a must! Of course it can be a bit chilly when you
first put it on. ;)

Hey congratulations on winning a season pass! Rosemary and I would have liked to have been there
for the closing weekend but it was my weekend to work. :(

Bummer about your chausses, but you’ll get them worked out! They are just too cool to abandon completely!  :)

Sir Edward:

That's true, I still need to figure out what I'm doing with the ailettes.

I've renamed this thread in the meantime though. :) From what I understand, some crests started to appear in the 13th, but wouldn't have been common until sometime in the 14th. I'm curious when exactly they became widespread, as well as when the spaulders started catching on. The early 14th works for me. It's the time of the fall of the Templars, and the writings of Geoffroi de Charney. A lot of interesting history in there.

I managed to save myself some of the initial chill of putting on the shirt by wetting it while wearing it. I got half suited up, then poured the water all over myself, which felt great since I was already getting sweaty out in that parking lot! :) That's one of the nice things about the aluminum armor too... I could pour more through the armor and not worry about rust.

I haven't decided what to do with the chausses, in terms of going steel or reworking these. If I make something new, I can re-purpose these into mail greaves to attach to the padded cuisses or something. I've got time to think about it now. I probably won't be using them again until MD faire, unless something else comes up.

Sir Edward:

Well, as I'm sure you'll remember, I left the VARF season with the chauses being in need of some serious love. With MDRF rapidly approaching (only a week away!), I decided to get back to work on these. Better late than never! :)

I've started working on the leather thigh-wrap that the mail will be stitched or tied onto:

I bought the leather for about $25 at Pennsic, and just needed to create a template and cut these out. I'll probably make the belt straps tie off after looping back onto themselves, and then punch some holes and tie the mail on around the edges, and use some cord or laces to tie the back-closure together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version